Topic: Deciphering data plates on a 1951 Ford

theconvertibleguy    -- 06-25-2023 @ 2:09 PM
  Hello all

I'm currently looking at a 1951 Ford convertible, and wanted to verify if their claims of originality was truthful or not. Was told the details were found on the two plates shown in the images below, but the few things that I've found online doesn't really clarify if the drivetrain/trim/model type is truthful or not. Was told that it's a Canadian version, so that probably is helping to muddy the water.

Wondered if anyone could shed some light on the data I've attached

nelsb01    -- 06-25-2023 @ 5:34 PM
  Do you have the Club's 1949-51 Ford Book?
It does a good job of helping you decipher the numbers.

ford33    -- 06-26-2023 @ 1:43 PM
  Looking at the serial number the 04 stands for Ford , the 76 stands for convertible . the H stands for assembly plant , and the 51 is the year of the car. Then just the consecutive production numbers.
Does this answer your questions?

theconvertibleguy    -- 06-27-2023 @ 5:56 AM
  > Do you have the Club's 1949-51 Ford Book?
> It does a good job of helping you decipher the numbers.

I had not even heard of it until now thanks!

> Looking at the serial number the 04 stands for Ford , the 76 stands for convertible . the H stands for assembly
> plant , and the 51 is the year of the car. Then just the consecutive production numbers.
> Does this answer your questions?

It does yes. I assume H would be for WIndsor, Ontario, Canada.

Does the other plate mean anything at all? The one that has Style 1A-76 at the top? I assume it'd just be more of the same type of data.

1940 Tom    -- 06-27-2023 @ 6:13 AM
  The 1949-51 Book is excellent and should answer a lot of your questions.

How to get it? Easy!

Tab over to the blue part of your screen on the left and click on "Online Store". Follow the link shown for "Ford Books", and it bring up the selection.

Best of luck with your project.

Tom

ford33    -- 06-27-2023 @ 7:32 PM
  The" H" on the data plate signifies Home Office which was Windsor . The Paint code on the plate "27" is for the color Fez Red
The other plate is the body number plate.
1A is the prefix used to designate 1951 parts and 76 is convertible.
The 1640 is the body number . I can't read the rest except for the 3 last numbers that I think indicate accessories that were installed on the car

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16504