Topic: New tires on wide 5 wheels

thirtysixford    -- 06-20-2023 @ 12:00 PM
  Got the Coker tires from Speedway, 6.00 x 16
After a little bit of a search, found a local shop that installed and balanced them.
Used the front drum (1939) without the bearings to get them to fit on their balance machine. Thanks to whoever first suggested this, works perfect.

Hard to believe, but that's $1200 worth of tires with tax, installation and balancing. I remember going to CW Moss years ago and they had Firestone tires with a wider whitewall for like $89.
Crazy.

ford38v8    -- 06-20-2023 @ 2:24 PM
  Crazy wild inflation, right.
...About using the front drum to balance the wheels/tires, I hope they first balanced the drum with no wheel attached, otherwise the balancing of the individual wheels would be invalid.

Alan

thirtysixford    -- 06-20-2023 @ 2:36 PM
  Valid point Alan
It is my understanding the drums were balanced at the factory, See the weight at the 6 o'clock position.
But yes we checked the drum before attaching a wheel/tire and it was fine.

thirtysixford    -- 06-20-2023 @ 2:54 PM
  Of course I could be wrong ........ Heck I was a lookout at Pearl Harbor.

ford38v8    -- 06-20-2023 @ 6:56 PM
  You know, there actually were lookouts at Pearl, operating an early radar station. They did make positive contact with the Japaneses attack force, reported same, that report being dismissed as a false alarm.

Alan

1940 Tom    -- 06-21-2023 @ 7:04 AM
  Alan is correct.

But Lt. Tyler, the Naval Officer in charge that Sunday morning, mistakenly thought that the report from the lookouts on Opana Point, identified a flight of B-17's flying in from California (unarmed!) at the same time. His famous reply to the lookouts, upon receiving the report, was "don't worry about it".

May God bless the heroic military personnel, both living and dead, who were there on that historic "Day of Infamy".

Tom

thirtysixford    -- 06-21-2023 @ 10:08 AM
  Sorry, I made a poor attempt at humor

I'm a Vietnam vet and a huge supporter of our military

As far as I'm concerned the book below is the definitive Pearl Harbor documentery

1940 Tom    -- 06-21-2023 @ 10:52 AM
  IMHO, Gordon Prange's excellent book is THE authority on the Pearl Harbor attack. I agree with you 200% on that point.

I also think it was shown in the movie credits for "Tora, Tora, Tora".

No, you didn't make "a poor attempt at humor". Not at all.

Glad you enjoyed the book as much as I did.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16495