Topic: Firing order

silverchief    -- 08-04-2010 @ 3:56 PM
  Before I pull out my gun and shoot this thing between the headlights - just to double check - number one
piston for firing order on 49 pickup is plug nearest the radiator - passenger side. Correct?

Stroker    -- 08-04-2010 @ 4:32 PM
  Silverchief:

Before you dispatch the poor devil, consider that the cylinders are numbered in the order that the rods are attached to the crank, front-to-rear. Thus, given the fact that the right-hand bank is slightly aft of the left, one can assume that the number "one" cylinder is actually the "driver's side" front, unless of course you are from the UK, Australia, or New Zealand.

Bill4d1merc    -- 08-04-2010 @ 4:56 PM
  silverchief, yes you are correct, the number one piston is plug nearest the radiator on the passengers side. Here is a link showing layout and the correct firing order.
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_engine-pics/Flathead_Sparkplugwiring-49-53.GIF

Bill

This message was edited by Bill4d1merc on 8-4-10 @ 4:57 PM

Stroker    -- 08-04-2010 @ 5:06 PM
  Bill & Silver:

I humbly apologize. I gave the cylinder numbers, not the firing order.

Stroker

silverchief    -- 08-04-2010 @ 6:03 PM

Bill - thanks buddy - I printed it out.

Stroker - that's OK. No harm done.

Silverchief

supereal    -- 08-05-2010 @ 10:15 AM
  If you are still having a problem getting your distributor back in place, put your finger over the spark plug hole in the number one cylinder (front one on the passenger side) and turn the engine over until you feel compression. Then, line up the mark on the crank pulley with the pointer and insert the distributor with the rotor pointing to the #1 plug wire. The helical gear drive makes getting it right a bit tricky, at first. I always make marks on the later distributors and the block with a wick pen before I remove the distributor to make the replacement easier.

silverchief    -- 08-05-2010 @ 6:22 PM
  Supereal,

No problem getting the dist back in. Put in new points,
new coil, rotor and condenser. Lined up timing marks on pulley, pointed rotor to #1 position, used static timing light in turning dist to beginning of points opening. Using a meter - set dwell at 28 degrees.

Verified I have spark at cleaned and like new plugs. Verified fuel in the bowl. Wouldn't even sputter. Discovered I had reversed coil polarity. Corrected that. Still won't even begin to hit, excepting couple of bumps indicating it is out of time. Will try again tomorrow. Gee this is fun.

This message was edited by silverchief on 8-5-10 @ 6:26 PM

Kens 36    -- 08-05-2010 @ 7:41 PM
  Siverchief,

Make sure the wire that goes from the points either through the bottom of the distributer to the coil, or connects to a stud on the bottom of the dist. is not grounded to the dist. case. If there is a stud, make sure it is not grounded to the case.

Ken

silverchief    -- 08-06-2010 @ 6:53 AM

Thanks Ken - I will check it.

Silverchief

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-06-2010 @ 7:28 AM
  I was wondering if the 49 was running or you got it out of storage and now it will not start ?
if you are in time. with the distrbuter,and have spark and have fuel, it should run, maybe the exhaust is clogged up, or the timing gears are stripped or jumped time,?
take the number one plug out, turn over the motor
[ have someone help you ] till you feel compression coming out of the spark plug hole,[ put you finger over the hole,] when it stops look to were the timing marks are,see if you can see if both valves are down,you might have to rock the engine back and forth a little to get TOP DEAD CENTER,you rotor should point to number one,
also take a compression TEST,this might explain something,
explaning the problem from the begining might help us to help you,
you might have to go back over,step by step to find out what went wrong,
lets hear how you made out,37RAGTOPMAN
KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,,,,

TomO    -- 08-06-2010 @ 7:38 AM
  Silverchief, Follow Supereal's advice, the timing mark on the pulley will line up more than once and the one where cylinder 1 is on the compression stroke is the only correct one.

I make it a habit to line up the distributor on cyl 1 and the timing mark and then disconnect the battery before removing the distributor. This reminds me that I should not turn over the engine until the distributor is back in place.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1649