Topic: Won't start!!

museumguy    -- 06-15-2023 @ 9:35 PM
  WE have an approximately 1946 flathead V8 in a 1936 Lincoln Welder. The engine used to start great but it has sat for about a year and now will not start. The engine has a good spark, in fact just put a new coil on it, the dual point distributer appears to be fine and the points have very little hours on them. The compression is 120 in every cylinder. We have put gasoline in the carburetor and have even put ether in the carb we do not even get a pop. I have not changed the condenser yet, but as I say, the spark is good. Has anyone experienced this problem. WE are at our wits end. Thanks,

40 Coupe    -- 06-16-2023 @ 6:04 AM
  If you decide to change the ignition condenser go to NAPA and get one.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-16-2023 @ 6:23 AM
  did you check the exhaust for a clog ?
I assume the engine is turning over, are you checking for spark at that time,?
it might have spark when turning the ign switch on but when turning engine over it , might loose the contact inside the switch
a lot more info would help to figure out what is going on
hope this helps 37Ragtopman, Maine

museumguy    -- 06-16-2023 @ 7:07 AM
  Thanks, that's exactly what I did. I will install it next week.

museumguy    -- 06-16-2023 @ 7:10 AM
  The engine turns over just great. In fact put a brand new battery on it. The spark seems to be very healthy at the plug when grounding it and turniing over the engine. The exhaust is wide open, in fact it has straight pipes coming out of the manifold.

carcrazy    -- 06-16-2023 @ 7:11 AM
  If you have spark at the plugs and it won't even pop with ether, the plugs are totally fouled and need to be replaced with new ones.

This message was edited by carcrazy on 6-16-23 @ 11:57 AM

Drbrown    -- 06-16-2023 @ 2:17 PM
  Maybe try changing out you old gas ?

museumguy    -- 06-17-2023 @ 8:57 AM
  I'm just trying to get it to pop on ether and not having any luck. I have also put gas in the carburetor and have had no luck. It has never even popped. I also sprayed a little ether in the cylinders and no luck.

carcrazy    -- 06-17-2023 @ 3:54 PM
  This is a longshot, if your engine has the fiber camshaft timing gear, one or more of the teeth may have broken off. This would cause your engine to loose correct valve timing. If this happens the engine will not run.

TomO    -- 06-17-2023 @ 5:44 PM
  Do a compression check. You need fuel, spark and compression in order to start an engine. You say you have good spark and fuel, so that leaves compression.

Tom

museumguy    -- 06-20-2023 @ 3:00 PM
  This is what surprises us, the compression is 120 in each cylinder. I'm going to change condenser next. I will make sure engine is firing on number one, but it was running when we parked it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16483