Topic: WOBBLING Crankshaft Pulley 1939 Ford Deluxe

OlderthanDirt    -- 06-13-2023 @ 6:24 AM
  Hi to All! I`m a new member, recently retired !! My 1939 Ford Coupe Conv. Flathead has a wobble crankshaft pulley. I bought the car recently and that got by me not noticed. I removed the fan and center bolt . The pulley has play left and right and up and down. I tried a 2 jaw puller, but no luck, just tightened up. I tapped, then hit harder a block of wood on the backside, then tried a long steel punch. I can't move it. I haven't tried heat yet, as the engine is all painted for show., but I`m open to all suggestions. Is there a keyway where a key may be broken and lodged? Or could the pulley have worn a groove or burr into crank? I am hoping the pulley would wear hopefully being softer steel. Ive run out of ideas and any help or experience would be REALLY appreciated. Thank You very much.

carcrazy    -- 06-13-2023 @ 7:00 AM
  If you have room to allow use of it, you can try using a slide hammer type of puller to remove the pulley. You may have to remove the grille and its supporting structure to provide adequate space to work.

OlderthanDirt    -- 06-13-2023 @ 8:09 AM
  Thanks car crazy! I`ll look into that. The thing that puzzles me is I can move it left and right back and forth and same top and bottom , so it doesn`t appear to be "stuck" as much as hung up on something??

DanD32    -- 06-13-2023 @ 1:15 PM
  I would not beat on it to much you might mess up the thrust bearing on the crankshaft and heat would kill your front seal go easy my friend. something tells me the key way is the problem I would try truning it back and forth while pullimg it off the might be A sweet spot

OlderthanDirt    -- 06-13-2023 @ 2:00 PM
  Thanks DanD32! I like your suggestion of turning back and forth while pulling. I have also thought of mounting a thick solid bar of steel left and right using the fan holes, and moving back and forth to try and get by the hangup. Thanks A lot for your advice and knowledge.

TomO    -- 06-14-2023 @ 11:59 AM
  You should not need a puller to remove the pulley.

I believe that you have to remove the radiator on order to get enough clearance to remove the pulley. You may also have to jack up the front of the engine.

Don't wobble it side to side or up and down too much, you will ruin the front seal and then have to pull the oil pan to replace it.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 6-14-23 @ 12:04 PM

OlderthanDirt    -- 06-14-2023 @ 12:28 PM
  Hi Tom, The Bolt & washer came out reasonably easy. Used breaker bar and thin socket. The pulley has roughly 4 1/2-5 inch clearance to radiator, so Im trying puller first. Today I squirted Blaster in the front snout and 1/8" space I see behind pulley. I think Dan is correct that its a key keyway problem because of the pulley play. the puller just tightens up and there's no moving it, I even put a short pipe on wrench but to no avail. Tomorrow I'm going to look for the "sweet spot" that Dan mentioned above, moving the pulley sideways while puller attached. Beyond that, Im at a loss, and need any advice I can get. At that point should I try to cut it off? or would it be impossible not to damage the snout? Any other thoughts?? THANKS, AL

OlderthanDirt    -- 06-14-2023 @ 12:34 PM
  I think the pulley wobbling that I noticed while engine running has already impacted the front seal, as there is a small oil leak.

DanD32    -- 06-14-2023 @ 5:53 PM
  AS a last resort I would use A small die grinder or dremel like tool with A cut off wheel and try to split it in two using the key way slot for one of my cut line's go very slow checking all the time not to hit the crank leave a 1/32 or so then split it with a chisel or a screwdriver that you use for one ( every garage has one) lol ! Please be careful and Good Luck !!

OlderthanDirt    -- 06-15-2023 @ 6:43 AM
  THANKS Dan, I haven't got there yet, but may soon. Ill post my results when I finally get the pulley off!! Al

OlderthanDirt    -- 08-28-2023 @ 5:06 AM
  First of all, THANKS TO ALL who replied to my wobbling crankshaft pulley and gave me tips to get it off. Well, I finally got the crankshaft pulley off, and found the pulley is bent. It sure didn't come off easy, but slowly managed to remove it with a 3 jaw puller. Shows some groove wear inside, key and keyway are fine. Flange is bent and probably couldn't be repaired where it wouldn't wobble again. Bottom line is I NEED/WANT to replace it, but haven't yet been able to locate one. 1939, `40 and `41 are all identical correct?Any of you fellas have a Source for me to contact. Of course I`d prefer NOS or Quality repro, but would consider Excellent condition used. Any help will be Greatly Appreciated.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-28-2023 @ 6:11 AM
  hi
try SOUTHSIDE OBSOLETE in MINN
Fred might be able to help you, 1 507 332 6789
hopr this helps, 1937RAGTOPMAN, MAINE

he has also a web site, fred@southsideobsolete.com
I would call ,,, have your part numbers ready

juergen    -- 08-28-2023 @ 7:24 AM

This message was edited by juergen on 9-2-23 @ 12:57 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16475