Topic: brake shoe linings woven vs molded

MICHV8    -- 08-04-2010 @ 10:42 AM
  any advantage to woven brake shoe linings? thanks!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-04-2010 @ 11:36 AM
  MECH BRAKES USE WOVEN,1928 to 1938 FORDS
39 48 FORDS AND BEYOND HYDRAULIC BRAKES USE MOLDED,
either rivited or bonded, I prefer the rivits.
I NEVER SAW woven lining's on a FORD'S HYDRAULIC SYSTEM,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37 RAGTOPMAN
JOB LOT AUTO in NY,
OR FORD V8 SHOP in BALLSTON SPA have them,
you can talk to HUMANS,,
DENNIS CARPENTER.
plus many other venders but good luck.

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 8-7-10 @ 5:11 PM

supereal    -- 08-04-2010 @ 12:38 PM
  Woven linings increase stopping power of mechanical brakes. They wear faster, but with lightly driven collector cars, it doesn't make much difference. Avoid molded linings, particularly the bonded type, as they tend to be much too hard for the mechanical system.

ford38v8    -- 08-05-2010 @ 12:00 AM
  Ragtop & Super, I disagree... partly. Back in the day, woven shoes were preferred due to the mechanical brakes having less than adequate performance. Then came cable brakes on the Lincoln Zephyr and the Ford, and finally, the aftermarket floaters became available even as the new Fords brakes still weren't perfect. Ford did finally adopt the system, but only after converting to hydraulic brakes.

Bottom line, if your '36, '37, or '38 Ford has floaters, you have excellent brakes, and have no need for woven shoes. On the other hand, todays molded lining is no d##m good at all, due to it's being infused with brass shavings to make the shoes last longer.

So your choice is woven linings or... good old thick asbestos shoes from a brake specialty house rather than the franchise brake shop downtown. As Super advised, though, riveted shoes are better than bonded.

Alan

oldford2    -- 08-06-2010 @ 9:13 AM
  What vendors sell woven linings. Do they come bonded on the shoes or do you need shoes that can be riveted?
I can not get my 46 hard linings to stop squeaking.
Thanks
John

This message was edited by oldford2 on 8-6-10 @ 9:15 AM

supereal    -- 08-06-2010 @ 10:08 AM
  When I worked for a dealer, we used to quiet squeaking brakes by brushing on a coat of "lampblack" mixed with alcohol. If your drums were not turned correctly when the linings were changed, that also can affect the noise. Many shops today don't see many, if any, brake drums. To produce an even cut, you have to place a special belt around the drum as it is cut to avoid vibration that will show up as ridges on the drum surface.

oldford2    -- 08-06-2010 @ 4:18 PM
  Vendors who sell woven linings?? Are they bonded or riveted?
Thanks John

parrish    -- 08-06-2010 @ 7:53 PM
  MACS or C&G or others

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1647