Topic: 6v versus 12v

Formbyln    -- 06-08-2023 @ 6:27 AM
  I am currently restoring a 1941 Super Deluxe convertible... The last restoration was completed some 20 plus years ago... I am in the process of totally rewiring her... She is currently 12v system

I had a 1940 Chevrolet which I restored back to original OEM specs complete with 6v system... I was hit by a third DUI/DWI offender and killed my only child (Ella, age 5)...

Can someone give me pros/cons on the 6v versus 12v?

Respectfully,

Lou

Formbyln    -- 06-08-2023 @ 6:38 AM
  This is why I have doubts about running a 6v system at night...

40cpe    -- 06-08-2023 @ 7:20 AM
  My heart aches for the loss of your child. I can't imagine how you hurt.

You are currently rewiring your car, so you already have your wiring. 6V requires larger wiring than 12V and might answer your own question. I don't know of a con to 12V once the voltage is reduced to the accessories or they are changed, unless you are a stickler for originality.

kubes40    -- 06-08-2023 @ 8:05 AM
  Gosh... I can't think of a thing to comfort you. I am sincerely sorry for your loss.

If you don't plan on adding modern accessories like a modern radio, there's really no good reason to go to 12v.
Staying stock, the harness can be purchased quite reasonably and is a "sure fit".

Lots of guys go to 12v as they can't seem to properly repair the 6v system. Properly repaired, these cars start and charge just fine.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

RAK402    -- 06-08-2023 @ 9:09 AM
  I am very sorry for your loss sir.

I have been driving a 6 volt, positive ground 1940 Ford for 48 years now.

As long as the connections are clean, the wiring is good, and everything is in good shape, I see no reason to change to 12 volts.

This message was edited by RAK402 on 6-8-23 @ 9:10 AM

TomO    -- 06-08-2023 @ 9:56 AM
  I am sorry that you lost your daughter. She was a real cute little girl.

12V lights may not be any brighter than 6 V lights. Driving an old car at night is always a challenge. Modern cars have much brighter and bigger lights than the old cars. The modern lights seem to wash out the small lights on our old cars and modern drivers are much less considerate than the drivers in years past. I converted my 40 Mercury tail lights to 6V POS ground LED bulbs and you can see photos of the tail lights at:

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16437

If you intend to leave the car 12V make sure that your starter is converted to 12V. A 6V starter operating at 12V will self destruct after a while and may damage the ring gear on the flywheel. Buy a good reproduction wiring harness as a 6V harness will work with a 12V system with minor changes to handle the changes to the instruments.

Bottom line is that I would not change a 6V car to 12V as benefits are not worth the work and expense. A good 6V system is as good as a good 12V system.

Tom

thirtysixford    -- 06-08-2023 @ 1:30 PM
  OMG Speechless

mfirth    -- 06-09-2023 @ 4:48 AM
  Speechless here too .....

mhsprecher    -- 06-10-2023 @ 4:54 AM
  I am very sorry about your daughter.

To add to the comments, I agree that LEDs are much brighter and I believe you can get 6 volt LED headlights, too. I am a fan of reflectors, especially on the back. You can probably get white ones for the front. The other recommendation is seat belts. Old cars are dangerous in collisions. I have seat belts in all my antiques and have even installed a shoulder harness in my 39 Ford Fordor. Those won't work for your convertible, but you should have seatbelts front and back.

You need to do what you can to address your grief and any responsibility you might feel for the accident. The brightest lights you can get are one avenue. I don't like driving my antiques at night for that reason.

kirkstad    -- 06-11-2023 @ 10:43 AM
  I am so sorry for the loss of your little girl. I'm feeling very sad right now. I remember back in 1960 my dad purchased a 1955 ford that he owned for years and I don't remember any difference in brightness to other cars that were 12 volt at the time, the 1956 ford for example. I agree with TomO I think it has a lot to due with the size of the light. A friend of mine had a 39 ford conv. that was 12 volt with an alternator, with stock style tail lights and at a short distance down the road they seamed to almost fade away. These new cars with the large led lights make large 12 volt lights look dim. I have a 36 coupe with 6 volt, three point seat belts and turn signals, but I try to avoid driving at night. What helps a lot, I have a LED third brake light mounted in my rear window and it is really bright. I see nothing wrong if you switch 12 volt if it gives you peace of mind considering what has happened.

sarahcecelia    -- 06-11-2023 @ 2:00 PM
  What a a horrible way to lose such a beautiful child! It brings tears to my eyes; but I hope,although you will never get over it; you have some comfort of knowing she is wih God and the Angels now.

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16459