Topic: Shock Absorber Fluid recommendations for my 41 ?

martin.scheffer@gmail.com    -- 06-05-2023 @ 11:12 AM
  Recently acquired a 41 Ford. The lever arm shocks seem to have little or no effect, and who knows when they were last serviced. The adjustment and the filler cap appear frozen. Rust doesn't appear to be a factor but I am going to apply several applications of penetrating fluid over several days and lightly tap on the fittings. I suspect that the fluid reservoir is empty. Any recommendations for a fluid product I could order through Amazon. The shocks may need to be rebuilt. Try it myself or send them out? Know of a good place to send them? I would consider tube shock replacement if such exists but I hesitate to go that route given that the car is in absolute mint original condition. Thanks in advance for any comment you wish to offer
Martin

Kens 36    -- 06-05-2023 @ 1:39 PM
  Martin,

The go-to rebuilder for these shocks is Andy Falandes. Many people have been pleased with Andy's work. It is not inexpensive.

Andys Shoxs
Charlemont, MA
413-768-8487

https://andysshoxs.com/

andys.shoxs@gmail.com

Ken

carcrazy    -- 06-05-2023 @ 2:45 PM
  Third Gen Auto has Shock Absorber Oil in stock.

ford38v8    -- 06-05-2023 @ 8:46 PM
  x2 for Andys Shoxs.
There were originally three different incompatible shock fluids for Ford shocks. Today you have a fourth, (hydraulic fluid). Put the wrong fluid in and you get cottage cheese.

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-07-2023 @ 7:23 AM
  shock absorbers
motorcycle shops have shock oil in various weights, that should work with no problems
its worth a try
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

pfrancis    -- 08-29-2023 @ 9:13 PM
  I recently filled my 35 Ford shock absorbers with Napa Hydraulic Jack Oil. I am wondering if any forum members think this was a serious mistake. Thanks for your opinions.

51woodie    -- 09-07-2023 @ 3:38 AM
  I think hydraulic oil would be appropriate, as it has antifoaming characteristics. The question is, what ISO viscosity would be closest to the original shock oil? As an example, ISO 68 is approximately equivalent to 80W gear oil, according to lube charts.
What is the method for flushing the old oil, with the shock off the car? What is the fill level when refilling?

51woodie    -- 09-13-2023 @ 12:43 PM
  I'm surprised that no one ventured a response to my question. I'm planning to put the '46 up on stands next month, as winter is setting in, and I was hoping to remove, flush, and refill the shocks.

51woodie    -- 09-21-2023 @ 12:04 PM
  After searching several web sites and posts, I've decided to use AW68 hydraulic oil in my shocks for the '46. I will be taking the shocks off to flush out the old oil. Filling will be done with the shocks held in the same position as they would be on the car. The Houdaille instructions say to fill to the bottom of the filler opening. Any comments on my selection of oil would be appreciated.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16456