Topic: 1949 Ford Wipers

nelsb01    -- 06-04-2023 @ 11:30 AM
  OK, for some reason last year, the wipers just stopped working on my 1949. Original equipment, new (within 5 years) rubber hose from carb base to wiper. Previously they worked like they were suppose to -- gas pedal down barely sweep, going down hill, run like a crazy.
Referred to the 1949-50-51 Ford Passenger Car Shop Manual and it told you nothing with regards to troubleshooting. Looked under the dash and wiper motor is clean and hose connected. I did see that there was another hose connection on the drivers side, but looking at the brass fitting, it looks like it has not been used (slight grease residue on it), so that means there might not have been a plug on it.
So --- suggestions? Move the wipers back and forth to see if that causes it motor to start working? Don't really want to remove the motor unless it is the last resort.

Grant    -- 06-07-2023 @ 4:21 AM
  Hi Bruce.

Could the problem possibly be lubricant starvation in the mechanism which attaches to the wiper motor?

I'm thinking that you could try WD40 or perhaps Fluid Film at all pivot points where the arms under the dashboard connect to the vacuum motor and each other.

And also under the splined round posts on the cowl in front of the bottom of the windshield which the long skinny wiper arms press onto.

Good luck.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-07-2023 @ 7:18 AM
  hi
wipers not working,
did you try disconnecting the wiper linkage and see if pivots are not stiff or frozen ?
it might not be the wiper motor,
lubing the wiper motor with light motor oil 10w30 should help
see you can move the bell crank on the wiper motor by hand,with no vacuum hose connected,
do not force anything,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman Maine

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 6-7-23 @ 3:34 PM

nelsb01    -- 06-07-2023 @ 8:53 PM
  Thanks Grant and Ragtopman.
I can easily move the wiper blades and arms from the outside. That is what made me think that it maybe a dry internal mechanism.
It will have to wait. Big Early Ford V-8 Club Grand National Meet that I am leaving for tomorrow.
I did refresh the Rain-X.

TomO    -- 06-08-2023 @ 10:08 AM
  Bruce, try driving to Dearborn with the wiper arms removed and the wipers turned on. If you don't see this before you leave, drive around Dearbon that way for a day or so. It may get the wipers going again so you can truthfully pass the Safety Check.

Tom

nelsb01    -- 06-08-2023 @ 11:37 AM
  Ssssssssssh Tom.
Remember, since they don't want to scratch the glass, they will take your word for it that the wipers work.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16451