Topic: Source for Ignition Coil

Drbrown    -- 05-31-2023 @ 7:19 AM
  My '47 was converted to 12 volts. Years ago Charles Schwendler prepared my "points" distributor and furnished a Bosch 12v coil. It has no external resistor and does not say it has an internal one. It has run fine but now overheats (very hot to touch), engine fails, apparently need to replace it .... could be the condenser ? (have unused one) Can anyone recommend a source(s) or manufacturer for such new coils ? I see a German-made 3.5 ohm one. I'm not familiar with manufactures names I see. I sent Skip an email to see about rebuilding.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 5-31-23 @ 7:40 AM

trjford8    -- 05-31-2023 @ 8:19 AM
  Your coil should have an external resistor if it does not have an internal one. You should be able to get a new 12 volt coil at Napa Auto Parts. I would get one that uses the external resistor.

TomO    -- 05-31-2023 @ 11:08 AM
  It sounds like you have a bad condenser or points that have too much dwell from a worn rubbing block. Your coil may be damaged from getting hot.

Contact Charlie for a source for the coil.

Charley Schwendler

cas5845@yahoo.com

Tom

carcrazy    -- 05-31-2023 @ 2:06 PM
  If I were looking for a 12V Coil, I would purchase one with an internal resistor. Be sure when you wire it up that you go directly from the ignition switch to the coil. Be sure to bypass the external resistor if you still have one. If your vehicle has a negative ground, be sure to wire the coil so the + terminal goes to the ignition switch and the - terminal goes to the distributor. One source for a reliable coil is Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts (these folks supply parts to the Great American Race cars!).
The 12V coil they offer is Part #9541512C. They are somewhat expensive but in my experience, cheap coils only live a few minutes before they fail.

This message was edited by carcrazy on 6-2-23 @ 3:57 PM

51504bat    -- 05-31-2023 @ 3:07 PM
  Jim Linder "Buba" recommends a Bosch Blue Coil. It has an internal resistor. That's what I run on my 8ba converted to 12 volts with a "Bubba" converted Chevy distributor. Runs great.

DanD32    -- 06-01-2023 @ 3:14 AM
  I use the same coil A Bosch 00012/9220081083 that Jim recomended works pefectly. And no external resistor to worry about

Drbrown    -- 06-01-2023 @ 2:33 PM
  Charlie responded to a personal email and said the existing Bosch coil purchased in 2016 is no good; coils should not get hot. I had the terminals wired correctly and Charlie was spot-on warning not to allow leaving ignition on if engine not running. He recommended the "Blue Coil" (is that by Bosch ?) or NAPA IC 14, both have internal resistors.

This being the second time this scenario occurred, the fact that the engine still ran fine later when the coil was cold may indicate that the distributor, at least up to that point, was functioning. Now have distributor out. Point mechanism's look okay - will check rubbing blocks against an unused set of points. Point contact faces are well aligned, look smooth and not pitted; will check gaps. Will replace condenser - this second episode may have been damaged it and thus caused the engine to sputter and cough when I tried my spare Bubba's unused coil.

Drbrown    -- 06-02-2023 @ 8:23 AM
  I searched internet for a Bosch Blue Coil. Only one site showed them (expensive) but they are out of stock. Closest I came re Bosch is their Bosch Black 00012 which they relate to VW's. There's a BERO ZS172 but the web page does not list internal Ohms resistance and reviews mention receipt of dented/damaged units. Off to local NAPA to see about their NAPA 1C 14, an equivalent recommended by Charlie.

carcrazy    -- 06-02-2023 @ 3:53 PM
  In my opinion, Bosch coils perform better than the ones from NAPA.

40cpe    -- 06-03-2023 @ 6:07 AM
  deleted

This message was edited by 40cpe on 6-3-23 @ 6:12 AM

Drbrown    -- 06-03-2023 @ 9:08 AM
  At the Bosch company web site I couldn't find their coils. NAPA can order theirs ($53) but want to look at their detailed spec's and warranty. Out-of-stock Bosch Blue was priced at $83.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 6-3-23 @ 9:11 AM

carcrazy    -- 06-03-2023 @ 9:22 AM
  Fifth Avenue's 12V Internal Resistor Coil, Part #9541512C, is $80.00.

JayChicago    -- 06-05-2023 @ 6:08 AM
  The Bosche Blue is a 3 ohm coil. Any 3 ohm coil will replace it.

JM    -- 06-22-2023 @ 5:36 AM
  I would suggest CALLING Skip Haney and discuss the possibilities for having him rebuild an original 47 coil to suit your needs.
Several years ago, I had Skip rebuild two original 46-48 Ford script coils to use on my 59 series high performance engine that uses a dual point, dual coil Harmon Collins distributor. He did a beautiful job on those two coils.

John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16443