Topic: Automatic Fan on 1948 Ford Convertible

47fordor    -- 05-22-2023 @ 3:13 PM
  I inherited my dad's 1948 Ford Convertible and I'm looking for any and all information I can get on one of it's special features. The car has a switch, in the left side lower radiator hose, that engages and disengages the engine cooling fan. I know that the typical '46-48 fan stayed on continuously but i also know what I'm looking at. I've never seen another like it and can't find any information on it in the 46-48 Ford manuals, even though it appears to be original.

One particular question that I have is about lubrication. The manuals talk about oiling it, but I don't see anything that appears to be an oil port.

Chris

41-42fordadvisor    -- 05-23-2023 @ 5:59 AM
  Chris, What you have sounds like what was called by Ford a Dyna-matic Fan. It was an accessory for 1947-1948 Fords and Mercury cars. There is a picture of it in the book, Ford 1946 1947 1948 Closing the Years of Tradition. If you do not have a copy, I highly recommend you buy a copy. It was one of the first books I bought when I bought my 1947 Ford fordor sedan in 1974. Fred Killian

woodiewagon46    -- 05-23-2023 @ 8:06 AM
  Advisor, is correct. The fan is the Dyna-matic fan option offered by Ford, and fairly rare, if in operating condition. The fan speed was thermostatically controlled and Ford claimed that it improved engine performance and reduced engine noise. If you do some research you will find that Ford had many little known and rare accessories available for the 1946-1948 line.

47fordor    -- 05-24-2023 @ 7:23 AM
  Thanks for the information. I found the book on Ebay; it's on the way. My biggest concern is that "rare" generally translates to "if it stops working, you're out of luck because parts don't exist and, even if you could find parts, nobody knows how to fix it anyway."

Chris

woodiewagon46    -- 05-25-2023 @ 7:35 AM
  You bring up a valid point. I'm not aware how the unit is "thermostatically" controlled, but if it fails you can always convert it to the standard fan assembly.

47fordor    -- 05-31-2023 @ 8:40 AM
  There is a temperature sensor on the driver-side lower radiator hose (similar to the heater hose connector on the passenger side). Normally, the fan is just coasting but once the coolant reaches a certain temperature, voltage is sent to activate the electric fan clutch and the fan functions like a standard fan. The engine hasn't been started in over 20 years and, as I get closer to breaking that streak, I was wondering if I should do any type of maintenance to it, while it's off of the engine and easy to access. My current thought is to treat it like many people today treat the hood of their car or the case of their computer: "don't open it because, if you do, you'll let the magic out and it'll never work again!" For all I know, it may be working as designed and, if not, it'll be much easier to troubleshoot with the engine running.

Chris

Drbrown    -- 06-25-2023 @ 9:01 AM
  Conversion kits from changing a stock belt-driven fan to an electrically operated and controlled fan come with a sensor that is inserted between the radiator fins. It automatically turns the electric fan motor on or off above a minimum temperature; it doesn't control fan speed. If your stock fan control fails perhaps you could replace it with one of those sensors. I expect your still have a 6 volt system including the existing fan motor so using a "modern" 12 volt temperature detector might require a diode in the circuit to adapt the two.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 6-25-23 @ 9:12 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16433