Topic: Universal joint installation

thirtysixford    -- 05-08-2023 @ 7:29 AM
  When installing the universal joint on the trans output-shaft, does the dimple on the B-7095 washer go towards the transmission? What is its purpose?

40 Coupe    -- 05-08-2023 @ 7:47 AM
  Sounds as if you have an aftermarket washer. The very small tab has no purpose . Usually the washer is not flat but crowned slightly. The high part of the crown gets the bolt head, I would add a lockwasher also.

thirtysixford    -- 05-08-2023 @ 11:34 AM
  Yes, aftermarket from Third Gen. So that being said, should I install it with the tab/dimple towards the trans like the picture shows?

kubes40    -- 05-08-2023 @ 1:46 PM
  Many authentic washers did in fact have that tab.
The washer is actually a Belleville washer. The convex side is positioned against the bolt. And, as has been previously stated, a spilt type lock washer should be installed as was authentically done.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

40 Coupe    -- 05-09-2023 @ 4:28 AM
  The washer has to lay flat against the U-joint so install the dimple toward the head of the bolt and use a lockwasher.

thirtysixford    -- 05-09-2023 @ 5:46 AM
  Thanks everyone. I installed the washer with the dimple towards the bolt head using the supplied lock washer and a couple of drops of blue loctite.

I actually have two of the aftermarket bolt/washer kits. The one from Third Gen, and another from Mac's. When I put a Starret machinist square across the washers they are both dead flat on both sides..... defiantly not Belleville washers like the original.

zeke3    -- 05-09-2023 @ 7:05 AM
  I don’t know, but I am thinking the tab is intended to simulate the Belleville spring of the original washer, so it would go towards the u-joint. The tab would be deflected when the bolt is tightened, similar to the Belleville washer. I would like to hear from the supplier which is the correct orientation of the replacement part.

thirtysixford    -- 05-09-2023 @ 8:28 AM
  Well that just figures, I just got off the phone with Michael Driskell at Third Gen. The dimple goes towards the transmission. He said it makes the washer act like a convex washer. He said he could get the convex washers, but they are $25 each.

Luckily, I haven't installed the torque tube yet so it's an easy fix.

kubes40    -- 05-09-2023 @ 9:32 AM
  The tab, as Driskell told you, does in fact go towards the transmission.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16394