Topic: 36 Fuel Tank - Drake? Tanks Inc?

Henryat1140    -- 08-01-2010 @ 6:45 PM
  I'm going to replace the fuel tank in my 36. There seem to be two vendors, Drake and Tanks Inc.

If you have experience with either in a 36, any comments or pointers would be appreciated.

The car is a driver, what about poly tanks? It would be nice to put the rust issue behind me permanently, but what other considerations are there when installing a poly tank? Do they fit up as well as the steel ones?

Thanks for any opinions/comments

Henry

parrish    -- 08-01-2010 @ 7:50 PM
  I bought a poly tank from Yogi's for my all original 39 based on another forum users experience and it was MUCH easier to intall. I have also heard that Drake's 39 unit is a tad too tall from the flange and causes some headaches.

flatheadfan    -- 08-02-2010 @ 2:00 AM
  Henry-

I can't speak for others but the '36 tank I bought from Bob Drake for my '35 (I am using a '36 tank). Was not exactly shaped like the original. It was much larger across on the bottom. This extra width did cause a problem when I tried to install it. I had to grind part of the right frame channel slightly and the lip on both sides of the tank. It still took some work to slide in but it eventually did. Incidentally, due to this larger bottom the tank is somewhat close to the stock position tail pipe (less than an inch).

Next, I needed to use the original sender (Drake's sender wouldn't work accurately with the original '36 dash gauge). Unfortunately, the '36 sender would not bolt on to the Drake tank. To get around this I had to grind away the elevated lip around the sender hole so the original would mount. The Drake sender hole bolt pattern is the same as the '36 Ford sender so the everything bolted up without a problem once the lip was removed.

Again, it took some extra work but everything did come together

Hope this helps.

Tom

supereal    -- 08-02-2010 @ 8:20 AM
  The plastic tank in my '47 fit as well as the steel tank I replaced, with one exception. There was a depression on the back side of the original tank to clear the shock absorber mount that was on the plastic version. As the mount clamped to the crossmember, it wasn't a big job to adjust it. The toughest part of the job was dealing with the rusted cage nuts on the tank mounting bolts. You can't get at them when the tank is in place, and usually you have to improvise by putting bolts facing down, instead of up. This is also true of a steel tank. You will have to provide a separate ground for your gauge sender. If you are not a purist, plastic is the way to go. Otherwise I'd opt for a stainless tank. They are expensive, but the "new" gas is causing a lot of problems with the regular type. A plan is afoot to increase the amount of ethanol in gas, which will increase these complaints. There are a lot of suppliers of godd quality plastic tanks. I bought mine thru Jeggs.

Henryat1140    -- 08-03-2010 @ 9:22 AM
  Thanks for everyone's comments.

Superreal, are you actually aware of any poly tanks manufacturers besides 'Tanks Inc"?

Henryat1140    -- 08-03-2010 @ 2:15 PM
  Ok, here's what I've found so far comparing the two tanks:

To use the Tanks Inc Poly tank, here are the Positives and Negatives:

Negatives:
Original Ford fuel level sender will NOT work, you must use an aftermarket sender (said to work with King Seeley gauges but I have my doubts)

Fuel Outlet is on the top of the tank, and you must make an extension to the OEM fuel line to go over the tank to connect to the top.

You must use Tanks Inc filler neck which is an extra $26.50.

Positives:
Tanks Inc poly tank comes black in color no need to paint it.
End of the rust problem forever
Cost of the tank is $215
Maybe a little easier to install ???

Compare to the Drake Tank:

Negatives:
Different shape, may be a tight fit and require a little grinding on the frame. (Says Flatheadfan in message above)

Is close to the stock tailpipe.(Says Flatheadfan in message above)

Tank needs to be painted before installing.

According to Bob Drake sales rep, the original sending unit will not work - must use theirs $50.00 extra. (Flatheadfan says he made the original sending unit work by grinding away a ridge)

Cost is $325 - and they have none, and do not expect them for at least 90 days.

So I'm no closer to a solution, but thought it would be useful to report what my research turned up.

Again, the application is a 36 Phaeton, unmodified, stock throughout.

I am skeptical of the sloshing, or coating chemicals, as the tank has moderate rust issues, and it seems more cost effective to replace the tank rather than pay for the coating, and then have to replace it down the road anyway.

Does anyone know another supplier for poly tanks? The only one I have found so far is Tanks Inc. They sell to a lot of the street rod builders. Anyone besides Drake building a steel tank?

Further thoughts? Suggestions?

supereal    -- 08-03-2010 @ 2:54 PM
  I looked up the info on my plastic tank that was installed in 2000. It came from a place called "Yogi's", and I paid $200 back then, with another $25 for an aftermarket sender. It used the original filler neck, and I installed a new stock hose between the filler and the tank. It came with a separate vent that fits in the left rear wheel well. The different sender was necessary because the tank is cast with a "donut" hole in the middle for stiffness and to be a slosh baffle. The sender has always worked perfectly with the stock gauge. As always, it did require some bending of the arm to create the proper registration. The fuel line connected in the same way as the original. The only adapting was mentioned in an earlier post. Almost all deviations from stock require some ingenuity, but this job was not difficult, just inconvenient, as is all under car work. I don't have Yogi's address where I am at today, but someone else does, I'm sure, or put "Yogi's Inc" into your web browser. The conversion to plastic has been trouble free.

This message was edited by supereal on 8-3-10 @ 2:57 PM

Henryat1140    -- 08-03-2010 @ 6:08 PM
  Thanks for the detailed response.

It sounds like you have a Tanks Inc tank. Yogi's is a dealer for them. I spoke to Yogi's today with the intention of ordering a poly tank, but we got stuck on the need for the filler neck, which tanks Inc says you need to put the tank in a 36. Tanks Inc has right now a deal on the steel tanks where they will throw in the filler neck. For the poly one it's 50% off or $26.50.

Regards

Henry

trjford8    -- 08-03-2010 @ 7:52 PM
  Henry, I have used the poly tank in 4 cars. An added advantage is the two extra gallons of gas. The plastic tank is also safer in the event of a rear end impact(hope you never have that event). I think "Tanks' is the only manufacturer of the plastic tank. Yogi's will sell you the correct sending unit and they do work with the Ford gauge.In my 35 coupe I used the original gas neck. I cut off the end to remove the threaded sleeve. I then had a muffler shop weld on a short piece of pipe that was the same diameter as the plastic neck on the tank. I then used the rubber sleeve to connect the neck to the tank.
I'm a firm believer in the plastic tank due to the different types of fuel that we have to put in them. There's a reason why all new cars have plastic tanks.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1639