Topic: New one piece Front crankshaft seal is leaking.

dmarrs48    -- 04-29-2023 @ 10:09 AM
  Hello everyone! I have 1948 Ford 2 door sedan with a freshly rebuilt V8 Flathead. My problem is the one piece front crankshaft seal is leaking. I suspect that something was overlooked during the assembly and I would like to know if I can remove the timing cover & inspect the seal and spacer for damage and if I need to replace the seal, can it be done with the engine in the car? if I need to drop the oil pan, I think there's enough room, I hope.

pauls39coupe    -- 04-29-2023 @ 7:02 PM
  It could be several things. We use Permatex or some type of sealant on the outside of the seal between the seal sh*ll and the front cover/ oil pan groove.
The crankshaft should have a smooth sleeve installed instead of the spiral grooved sleeve, but that is not normally a huge problem.
I would look at the cork gasket on the oil pan. If they are not trimmed where they meet the steel part of the one piece seal a major leak can occur. We use a dab of Permatex where the seal and gasket meet. Be sure all the oil pan bolts are snug, but not over tightened crushing the gasket.
Check the bolts, but most likely you will have to pull the front cover and possibly the oil pan to fix the problem.
Let us know how you come out.

dmarrs48    -- 04-30-2023 @ 10:03 AM
  Thanks for responding to my issue, Can the oil pan be removed without pulling the engine out?

pauls39coupe    -- 04-30-2023 @ 6:47 PM
  Yes but it is difficult. You probably would have to drop the tie rod, drag link, exhaust crossover, loosen the transmission mount and shift linkage,
then lift the engine enough to clear the front cross member.
Pulling the motor may be easier.
Before you do all that, try pulling the front cover off first. You should be able to dope up the outer edge of the main seal with Permatex and correct any problem with the pan gasket meeting the edge of the seal.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16377