Topic: the last "real" woody

c. dan pannell    -- 04-25-2023 @ 6:43 AM
  What was the final year for a Ford/Mercury "woody" station wagon?

I believe that around 1949 they began shipping steel wagons with woody trim only on outer panels and around 1952 those panels were replaced with faux wood and woodgrain appliques.

Comment?

1940 Tom    -- 04-25-2023 @ 7:10 AM
  Good morning, Dan--

My knowledge about "woody" wagons is pretty limited. But I think you are close to the mark with the 1949-1950 wagons - both Ford and Mercury. My fellow Club members, who are fortunate enough to own a "Woodie, will be able to give you more specifics.

If you want the full story on "woodies", the best source I have ever found is a large hardback book by the late Lorin Sorenson called "Famous Ford Woodies". I don't know if the Club's Online Store still has some for sale. If not, I'd check Ebay or maybe Amazon. Might be hard to find, but well worth the effort.

Welcome to the V8 Club, and good luck with your search.

Tom

1940 Tom    -- 04-25-2023 @ 7:21 AM
  Update----

Both Amazon and Ebay have new and used copies of "Famous Ford Woodies" available. Check out both websites and search "Lorin Sorenson books". Lorin also published additional Ford V8 books, which are shown on both websites. All of the ones shown are very good.

Amazon prices are high for brand new copies, although used copies are available for less money. Ebay's prices are better.

Tom

trjford8    -- 04-25-2023 @ 7:40 AM
  Also check with the Early Ford V-8 Foundation in Auburn, Indiana. I believe they have copies of 'Famous Ford Woodies" for sale. www.fordv8foundation.org.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 4-25-23 @ 7:41 AM

woodiewagon46    -- 04-25-2023 @ 8:17 AM
  In the Ford-Mercury line, 1948 was the last year for all wood construction. Body wise, only the cowl section and floor pan were steel. In 1949 the station wagon featured a steel inner structure with applied wood sides and an all steel roof. I also recommend the book Famous Ford Woodies by Lorin Sorensen, it's a good read.

c. dan pannell    -- 04-25-2023 @ 9:54 AM

Thank you, gents

CDP

nelsb01    -- 04-25-2023 @ 1:18 PM
  Yes 1949 Ford and Mercury Station Wagons were wood set into a metal body. In late 1950 they started using metal inserts with the woodgrain applique. They continued into 1951, but when it was decided to move away from the high maintenance wood body inserts, 1951 Ford and Mercury Station Wagons were a combination of either the wood panels or the metal panels with the woodgrain applique, as they tried to use up the remaining pieces. Several years ago I purchased a 1950 Ford Station Wagon parts vehicle that had one metal panel on the passenger door and wood on the rest.
Once the Iron Mountain Plant closed, the remaining wood was used for fire wood in employee homes. There was, now deceased, a wonderful gentleman named Richard Brown of Iron Mountain that was able to get many of the wood panels after the plant closed. I was able to purchase from him the original mahogany interior panels for my 1949. If your looking for a project, I have one sitting in my garage.

42wagon    -- 04-26-2023 @ 4:27 AM
  It is my view that the last "real" woody Ford station wagon would be the 1948 model year. From the cowl back and the floor up the body is all wood. There is no steel framing hidden inside and even the roof is wood with a rubberized canvas covering. The 49,50, and 51 Fords are really a steel car body with wood panels applied to the sides.

As a side note when they were building wood bodies at the Iron Mountain plant there was considerable scr*p wood. Henry was committed to using everything. So the scr*p was converted to charcoal. It is still produced today although perhaps not at Iron Mountain. The name on the packages "Kingsford"
42 Wagon

ford38v8    -- 04-27-2023 @ 12:23 AM
  It would be incorrect to assume that the name Kingsford Charcoal Briquettes was a direct reference to Henry Ford. It was, in fact, named after the man that Henry Ford employed to develop the Briquette business and to run the factory. Edward G. Kingsford lent his name to the product, and subsequently to the name of the town Kingsford, Michigan. True to Old Henry's style, however, Kingsford's wife was a distant Cousin of Henry Ford.

Alan

woodiewagon46    -- 04-27-2023 @ 8:33 AM
  If you are interested in Ford, Iron Mountain information/history, there was a book published in 2016 that told the entire story of the facility. If it's still available you can order it from the Menominee Range Historical Foundation, P.O. Box 237, Iron Mountain MI, 49801. The cost was $15 plus $5.00 for shipping. It has 109 pages and over 75 photo's and covers every aspect of the facility from Station Wagon fabrication to the cafeteria workers. The book also covers the relationship of Henry Ford to Mary Francis "Minnie"Kingsford, and her husband Edward George Kingsford. I hope it's still available, as every Ford Station Wagon owner should read it.

Don Rogers    -- 04-28-2023 @ 8:33 AM
  An interesting note: While visiting a Kingsford charcoal plant here in Missouri 20+ years ago I noticed that their calcining machinery still had the Ford Motor Co. nameplate on it.

Kens 36    -- 04-28-2023 @ 8:54 AM
  Most researched word on the Internet this morning: "calcining." Thanks Don.

JayChicago    -- 04-28-2023 @ 10:22 AM
  Ha-Ha. Good one, Ken.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16372