Topic: Beware! Parts Wanted In Classified

thirtysixford    -- 04-19-2023 @ 5:22 PM
  I recently put an ad for a '36 grill in the Parts Wanted section of the Classified. I received a legitimate reply and one that raised my eyebrows.

For some reason I can't copy the email header, but here is the body of his reply to the ad:

Hi,
>>>
>>> Here ,I attached the picture of my 1936 ford passenger car . I`m
>>> breaking
>>> the
>>> complete for parts , because of my surgery that is coming up
>>> soon . I want you to send me the list of parts that you need , along
>>> with your exact delivery address to know , how close you are to me .
>>>
>>> God Bless.

There was a picture of a stunning '36 sedan

His name is George Potter email is g1978@gmail.com

After a couple of back and forth messages he agreed to sell me these parts:
grill
hood with side panels
both running boards
fog lamps
hub caps with rings
radiator

Total cost with shipping from Pennsylvania to California $1,195!!! Wanted a cashiers check made out to his daughter???

I was skeptical to say the least. I asked for a phone number, more pictures of the car, the exact address where the car was and I asked if I could send someone to look the car over. Had a million excuses why he couldn't.

I googled his gmail account and up pops a post on the Early 911 Club that is word for word what he sent me. Only he had a picture of a 911.

The old saying If it's too good to be true sure applies here.

dean333    -- 04-19-2023 @ 9:40 PM
  One giant red flag is someone parting out a complete car that’s in great condition.

TIM CARLIG

trjford8    -- 04-20-2023 @ 8:31 AM
  Yes and his real name isn't George Potter either. One of the ways to check on these phonies is to check your club roster to see if they are a club member. I'll bet this crook posts on the Fordbarn also.

woodiewagon46    -- 04-20-2023 @ 9:59 AM
  There is a scammer warning about a George Potter on the A.A.C.A. site as we speak.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16363