Topic: power

JohnA    -- 04-16-2023 @ 11:55 AM
  I finally got my car running enough (barely) to get it out of my very tight garage, before i put it away I had lots of oil pressure, but now I have very little 10 lbs with no power, and oil level looks higher on dip stick, since I use 10w-30w detergent oil would it be possible that my sump on oil pump be clogged. Johna

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-16-2023 @ 12:38 PM
  no power
what I would do is drain the oil, and see how much oil comes out, measure it,and check the coolant to see if that went down,,
you might have a bad headgaskets,

you should do a compression test, if all cylinders should be fairly even,
what year and model ?
we need More INFO to help you
the more info the easier it is to find the problem.
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 4-18-23 @ 7:35 AM

JohnA    -- 04-16-2023 @ 2:55 PM
  yes sorry. 1948 2dr sedan with the 239 59a engine, you may be on to something. Tks ragtopman

carcrazy    -- 04-16-2023 @ 8:22 PM
  The fuel pump diaphragm may be failing allowing fuel to be pumped into the crankcase. Does your oil smell like gasoline?

JohnA    -- 04-17-2023 @ 2:31 PM
  not really

JohnA    -- 04-17-2023 @ 2:38 PM
  when I was working on engine I had alternator and fan disconnected and which means water pumps disconnected after installing new plug wires and cap and rotor I fired up car and heard a kind of whistle, but nobody around to tell me where coming from, could have been gasket leaking.

JohnA    -- 04-17-2023 @ 4:58 PM
  we did a compression test last month, lowest reading about 100psi ,could you get that kind of reading with blown head gasket, Johna

carcrazy    -- 04-17-2023 @ 9:50 PM
  A 100 psi reading in a cylinder could be considered about normal for a flathead with a little wear. Try running the engine while looking at the top surface of the coolant in the radiator. Check for bubbles which could indicate a leaking head gasket. Also check the condition of the oil in the crankcase. If it appears "milky", you either have a leaking head gasket, cracked head or cracked block.

JohnA    -- 04-22-2023 @ 7:51 AM
  Thanks carcrazy and 37ragtopman finally got my car running , carcrazy was right the fuel pump diaphragm was leaking and allowing fuel to run into oil pan,still have miss but maybe to old fuel. Thanks again until next time,Johna

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16356