Topic: 1941 sputter

Tron F16    -- 08-01-2010 @ 6:51 AM
  I have a 1941 Merc hasn't been driven much in the past 4 yrs. (had a BB galaxie convert one had to go kept the real car) It"s been driven sparingly. Now it starts idles ok but any RPM increase over 1100 I start getting random back fires. Just put a new coil on it . Drained old gas out of tank . Motor has never bee apart. Sticking valves? thanks Greg

TomO    -- 08-01-2010 @ 8:08 AM
  A compression test or a vacuum gauge will verify sticky valves.

Check your spark for a nice blue color, at least 1/4 inch long and a sharp cracking sound when a plug wire is held close to a head nut. Your condenser could be breaking down causing a weak spark, or you could have contamination across the contact points.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 8-1-10 @ 8:09 AM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-01-2010 @ 8:47 AM
  check the condensor for being tight,
also did you blow out the fuel lines,both of them,
and check the flex line to see if it is NOT leaking air in,
also the IGN resister connections are clean and tight
as well as the ignition switch, use a voltmeter and see it there are any voltage drops.
taking the carb bowl off and looking in the bowl for build up of sediment on the bottom and make sure to clean the needle and seat,or it has no blockage.
I heard that SEA FOAM CLEANER is good for cleaning the fuel system,
is there any body that had negative results using this,,????
check these out and get back to uUS, so we can see how you made out,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,,,37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 08-01-2010 @ 10:00 AM
  Did the problem start after you installed the new coil? If so, be sure to check the coil to rotor contact and the rotor contact ring. Backfiring as engine speed increases is often a symptom of worn distributor bushings producing point "bounce" as the shaft wobbles. If you have access to a shop with a distributor machine, your distributor can be strobed to determine if it is the cause of the problem. Installing a different coil can alter the point setting, as well. Distributors set up on a machine must have the coil in place to accurately set dwell, as the case can be warped as the coil is tightened.

This message was edited by supereal on 8-1-10 @ 4:05 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1635