Topic: 36 horns

Erbleding    -- 03-24-2023 @ 6:34 AM
  Hello,
I have a 1936 sedan convertible. All wiring is new, but I cannot get either of my horns to work. I’m getting draw when when I press the horn button, but when I try and put direct current from the battery to either horn, I get noting. It’s the original 6 volt system. It doesn’t look like the big parts suppliers sell horns for a 36. My question is, does anyone know of a person that is repairing/ refurbishing these horns? The insides look like they are in really good shape with no corrosion

This message was edited by Erbleding on 3-24-23 @ 6:37 AM

1931 Flamingo    -- 03-24-2023 @ 9:43 AM
  You've got the tops off. There is a screw with a locking nut on it near the center, try adjusting it.
Paul in CT

TomO    -- 03-24-2023 @ 11:33 AM
  Before adjusting any thing:

Make sure the contact points are closed and clean. Connect your Ohmmeter between the yellow and the blue with yellow tracer wire. The reading should be less than 1 ohm. If it is more your points may be corroded or the coil is open.

Make sure that the wire from the battery and from the horns to ground is 12 gauge or larger (10 gauge is larger ) or use jumper cables to test the horn. The horns use a lot of current, so I like to use the jumper cable when testing off of the car. The yellow wire should go to the NEG battery cable and the blue wire should be connected to the POS battery post.

The contact point adjustment, that Flamingo wanted you to turn, should be done only after you do the above steps. The contact point are adjusted so that they are closed when there is no voltage applied and will open as soo as voltage is applied.

Tom

fenbach    -- 03-27-2023 @ 7:10 PM
  after doing what TomO suggests, if the horns still don't work, try disconnecting the capacitors. - the black tubes. they could be shorted. the horn will work without them. they protect the points like a condenser on the distributor. they look to be original and should be replaced regardless - like a condenser on the distributor.

This message was edited by fenbach on 3-27-23 @ 7:12 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16313