Topic: fuel pump

JohnA    -- 03-02-2023 @ 3:18 PM
  how can I test my fuel pump to see if putting out enough pressure, 1948 ford car,239 59a. Johna

kubes40    -- 03-02-2023 @ 4:30 PM
  Get a fuel pressure test gauge and hook it up. A cheap one will set you back about twenty bucks.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

51woodie    -- 03-03-2023 @ 3:55 AM
  I have a fuel pressure test gauge kit ($25) that connects to the outlet of the fuel pump, but I wanted to know what the pressure was when the engine was running. I bought a good quality 0-5 psi pressure gauge, and teed it into a spare pump to carb fuel line that I have. Cost me a few dollars more to test the pressure this way, but I just had to know what the "running " pressure was. The answer...... about 1/2 psi, but I believe that is likely attributed to the difference in the accuracy of the two gauges.

40 Coupe    -- 03-03-2023 @ 8:28 AM
  If you run the car on an auxiliary source of fuel You can connect the pressure gauge to the pump output. You want the output pressure to be about 2 to 2-1/2 .

TomO    -- 03-03-2023 @ 9:26 AM
  It does not take much pressure to overcome the float pressure, so I do not worry about low pressure, I am more concerned with fuel pump volume and high fuel pump pressure.

You have several posts asking about problems with your car being hard to start and not idling. You would get better help in diagnosing the problem if you kept updating one post that described the problem you are having and then updating it with actions and observations.

"my 1948 Ford 2dr,with the 239 doesn't want to stay running and it won't idle. The car sits a lots, but it always started and ran well. The 94/59 carb has been rebuilt and fuel pump fairly new. I am getting gas to carb, but not a strong stream out of spray nozzles , since carb was rebuilt within last two years I have always had had to pour gas into carb to start, maybe fuel or ignition, any ideas?"

Your problem sounds like you may have a leaking power valve. This would drain the bowl in the carburetor, flood the engine and make adjusting the idle difficult. You could determine this by looking down the throat of the carburetor to see if fuel is dribbling in at idle. You should not see any fuel dribbling in at idle. You could also fill the bowl with fuel and let it sit overnight, there should be NO change in the fuel level if the power valve seal is good.

You said that you were not getting a strong stream from the accelerator pump nozzles. This indicates a worn accelerator pump or clogged passages in the carburetor.

If my carburetor was just rebuilt and I had to pour fuel down it to start it, I would be all over the rebuilder to do it right.

Charley Schwendler ( cas5845@yahoo.com ) does a very good job of rebuilding the Ford carburetors and I believe that if you sent yours in for rebuild, your car will start and run better than it has since you owned it.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 3-3-23 @ 9:28 AM

51woodie    -- 03-03-2023 @ 4:35 PM
  Tom has given good advice. I had Charlie do my carburetor and pump for my ‘46 Coupe last year. A great improvement in operation, with good cold and hot starts, good idle and improved fuel mileage. Charlie ran my units on his test engine before returning them to me, and even included a note with the pump output pressure of 2.5 psi. Money well spent.

JohnA    -- 03-04-2023 @ 10:06 AM
  Actually Charlie was the one that did my carb and distributor, so I am pretty confident my problem may be fuel pump. I have mechanic friend coming over next week and we test pump, that pump does not have much mileage on it either, bought from Ken Isdor two years ago. Like I said everything is fairly new. Johna

TomO    -- 03-06-2023 @ 8:48 AM
  Check your fuel delivery.

To check fuel delivery, you need a graduated 16 ounce or larger container to determine the amount of fuel delivered in a measured time. Disconnect the fuel pump line from the carburetor and direct it into a graduated container. Crank the engine long enough to get 2 ounces of gas in the container and then continue cranking for 15 more strokes of the pump. The pump should have delivered 6 more ounces of gas.

Fuel pump pressure is provided by the diaphragm return spring.

Tom

JohnA    -- 03-07-2023 @ 1:09 PM
  I think I can eliminate carb and fuel, both check out o.k. We did notice some spark plugs were hot, some cold, so later will all plugs for good spark. Johna

carcrazy    -- 03-07-2023 @ 3:56 PM
  If some of your spark plugs are cold while others are hot after the engine has been run, the ignition wires running to the cold plugs may not be making a good connection in the distributor cap. If you are using aftermarket radio resistance spark plug wires, some of them may have failed exhibiting infinite resistance. You need to do a through diagnostic test to determine the cause of the problem.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16269