Topic: 1935 Coupe Fan to Coil Clearance Issue

BIRUDY    -- 02-26-2023 @ 11:05 AM
  Have installed 1937 21 stud flathead V8 in my 1935 3 window coupe. (previously had 1935 21 stud flathead V8).
Fans and generators from both engines are the same.
When I installed the fan I noticed the back of each fan blade will hit the coil if it were to rotate.
any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong or what corrective action is required.. different fan?? .. add spacers to the fan to generator mount??..
will post some pictures.

Don Rogers    -- 02-26-2023 @ 12:51 PM
  it looks like you need to replace your 37 intake with a 35/36 intake. This should raise your generator and fan. Also a 35/36 coil would have a lower profile than the one you are using.

carcrazy    -- 02-26-2023 @ 3:38 PM
  There are several things you can do to get around this problem:
The easiest is probably to use a coil adapter and remotely mount a cylindrical modern type of coil.
If there is room for an electrically driven fan in the absence of the mechanical fan, use a radiator mounted "puller fan" behind the radiator.
If there is room between the front of the radiator and the back of the grille, use a "pusher fan" mounted to the front of the radiator. Note that "puller fans" are more efficient at cooling than "pusher fans".
If the generator mounting bracket is long enough and the fan will not be too high to hit anything above it, you can use a longer fan belt to move the generator/fan assembly upward enough to provide clearance to the coil.
The length of the fan blades can be shortened enough to gain the required clearance. After shortening, the fan should be rebalanced.

This message was edited by carcrazy on 2-26-23 @ 3:40 PM

ford38v8    -- 02-26-2023 @ 7:00 PM
  Birudy, you have the correct answer provided by the gentleman that wrote the book on your Ford. Don Rogers knows what he’s talking about, consider no other options.

Alan

kubes40    -- 02-27-2023 @ 5:13 AM
  Alan X2.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

BIRUDY    -- 02-27-2023 @ 5:25 AM
  Thanks to all for the solutions.. I had tried shimming the fan forward a bit to no real effective fix.( issue now becomes radiator clearance) The intake that is installed on the 37 engine is from the 37.. all components are from that engine and assumed the clearances would not have changed. The fan belt that is installed is 54" x 5/8... I do have sufficient length on the generator mount to raise it and will install a 55" belt and it should remedy.. this will raise the generator about 1/2" and won't impact it's proximity to the upper rad hoses..

3w2    -- 02-27-2023 @ 5:50 AM
  Which fan are you attempting to use, the '35 or the '37? They are not the same.

BIRUDY    -- 02-27-2023 @ 7:58 AM
  the fan that came with the engine... however that being said .. when I got the car it had the original engine in it , but with issues, and a spare rebuilt 37 flathead was included... both fans that were include are identical... they might be both 1935 vintage and hence as you say may be the problem... will research the differences.. and see what comes up . Thx

BIRUDY    -- 02-27-2023 @ 8:18 AM
  Researched information of fans... and 1937 fan has a "neck" of 2" from mounting plate to fan, whereas the 1935 "neck" is 1"..
Both fans have same radius (blade length).
The extra offset forward will definitely clear the distributor & coil and still would appear to leave enough clearance with the rad.

Ramjet47    -- 03-03-2023 @ 1:07 AM
  This attached advertisement shows a 37-38 & 39 std fan. I had the same problem, purchased what was sold to me as a 37 fan which turned out to be a 34 - 36 fan, too short in the hub. My 37 - 38 & 39 std fan clears the radiator and original 37 coil in my 37 coup’e. Best regards, Roger.

BIRUDY    -- 03-03-2023 @ 7:50 AM
  Thanks for the very pertinent information.
I have found a the correct fan and just waiting for it to arrive.
Thanks to all who helped me with this issue and thanks to member CarCrazy who was willing to part with fan.

ndnchf    -- 08-01-2023 @ 3:08 AM
  Dredging up an old thread as it is pertinent to my situation. My '35 has a 38-39 24 stud motor with efire distrbutor. I'm going to ship my original '35 distributor to Skip Haney for rebuild with a new helmet coil. I'd like to put it on the motor that is in the car.

Currently it has the short hub fan. It looks like there is plenty clearance to use a 2" hub fan. It sounds like I would need it to clear the helmet coil. It may also improve cooling effeciency. Does this sound correct?

Is a new 2" hub fan available, or do I need to search for a good original?
Thanks, Steve

This message was edited by ndnchf on 8-1-23 @ 4:43 AM

carcrazy    -- 08-01-2023 @ 9:35 AM
  You can post an ad for the fan you need in the Parts Wanted section of the Classifieds of this website. I have had very good results doing this in the past. Hope you find the part you need.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16265