Topic: 8ba cooling fan lubrication

MDWalker    -- 02-25-2023 @ 11:53 AM
  So I recently discovered the fan on my flathead takes oil, I took the screw out, used a syringe and poured some in, never seemed to get full, then I looked down and oil was leaking out the back near the shaft,dripping down onto the belt and pulley and all over the garage floor. I figured it was missing a gasket so I took it off(and alternator and belts) and took it apart....it still had a bunch of oil in it!

So my question is, is that normal? Did I just overfill? Or missing a gasket? I did find one very thin gasket against the fan blade hub itself, but that doesn't seem like the path of the oil since it's going out the back.

I see there is a modern replacement for the bearing that's sealed, anybody tried these?

Also, how do I get the cast iron bracket off the shaft, looks like it holds onto it by pressure from the bolts, but I removed those and won't come off still.

Thank you!

FordFreak    -- 02-25-2023 @ 1:26 PM
  There is an updated unit available w/a sealed bearing. C & G Ford Parts has them, & other suppliers as well. - F F

1952 Ford F1 Pickup
1965 Falcon Sprint

40cpe    -- 02-25-2023 @ 4:37 PM
  I've never oiled one, but I remember reading that you put oil in the hole , then turn the hole down to drain the oil. The residue oils the shaft.

MDWalker    -- 02-27-2023 @ 7:16 AM
  so I found the other gasket, they are very thin but they were there. I put the whole thing back together and put 2 oz in and nothing came out....then I turned it down, some drained back out. It did sling a little bit of oil when I started the engine back up but it stopped pretty quickly.

My guess is there was already an oz in there so when I put 2 in there it just overflowed. I guess that was a mostly pointless exercise but at least I understand how it works a little better now.

thx

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16263