Topic: 41 Super Deluxe original steering box removal need

41Betsy    -- 02-22-2023 @ 9:44 AM
  Hi! this is my 1st post. V* 239 cu. I bought a steering box rebuild kit and tried to remove it with slight banging. It will not come out of the tube/upper shaft/drive shaft. I disconnected all the obvious bolts and the arm that swings right.

How is this done?

Must I remove the entire shaft and steering wheel?

How do I get a good drawing and are there any youtube or other online video how tos.? Car is stock. Have theD. Carpinter rebild kit. Car is up on a jack. Do I need a full lift. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Mr Desparate.

kubes40    -- 02-22-2023 @ 9:48 AM
  You will find it easier in the proverbial "long run" to remove the steering wheel and then remove the entire steering gear and column tube as an assembly. The tube will need to be removed from the gearing assembly.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

41Betsy    -- 02-22-2023 @ 1:09 PM
  Thank you. When I do that will it just pull off?
But many are saying some of the early fords needed a press to remove it; that the wheel is hard to remove; that it is easier-God forbid to remove the column. Thanks again.

kw

wmsteed    -- 02-28-2023 @ 10:04 AM
  The first question I have is; why do you think the steering gear needs to be rebuilt?
Is it just leaking oil, a little sloppy ... both of which can be corrected with an adjustment of the gear lash and heavier gear lube, John Deer "Corn-head/PENRITE" is a common fix.
If the assembly does need rebuilding you will find it easier to remove the steering wheel, disconnect the ignition/horn wires, the shift levers and pitman arm. It is easier to remove the steering gear assembly from the bottom which will require jacking the car up quite high in the front and using axle stands to steady the car.
If the "worm gear' on the steering shaft is bad you will need a good hydraulic press, and maybe a Acetylene/Propane torch to heat it up.
Beating on it with a hammer is not they way to get the worm gear off of the shaft.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

41Betsy    -- 02-28-2023 @ 1:53 PM
  Thank you. My mechanic told me. There is extra play. He could not adjust it. Is that gear oil from 85 wt to 140 wt and is it non-detergent?

kw

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16254