Topic: 1936 Ford rod type mechanical brake adjustment

flatfoot    -- 01-26-2023 @ 2:27 PM
  I have had new brakes installed with drums turned, new old stock straight unbent rods. New everything installed. Result: very low brake pedal; screaming when I apply the brakes no matter first going or been going. Drums have been turned. bearings replaced. To adjust the shop disconnected the rods and adjusted the wheels to where they would not turn then backed off until they turned.

Don't know what to do. Still have very low pedal but good brakes, but the pedal is about 1-2 inches from the floor. Its below the gas pedal when applied or just even with it, but a little lower.

Maybe somebody could direct me to a shop in Redding area that could fix or give me an idea what to do.

Help, please. I drive this car as a second car.

3w2    -- 01-26-2023 @ 2:56 PM
  Have you aligned the arms vertically on the brake cross shaft per the Service Bulletin instructions? Have you tried shortening the pedal-to-cross shaft rod?

51woodie    -- 01-27-2023 @ 4:21 AM
  flatfoot. You say you have new brakes, and the drums were turned. I suspect that you may not have had the shoes "arcd" (radiused) to match the larger drum diameter. If this is the case, you will have limited lining to drum contact. As well, the shoes and drums will flex, because the lining is only contacting the center area of the brake drum path. Pull all the drums and check the contact pattern on all the shoes. I had this problem with my '46 Coupe when I installed Bendix style brakes, and had to make a tool to sand the linings by hand, as there is no shop in my area the can do the job. I had to do the job twice, before I got contact patterns the were acceptable. Yes, it is a pain having to pull the drums.

51woodie    -- 01-31-2023 @ 11:11 AM
  Flatfoot. Have you had a chance to work on your brakes? Give an update when you can.

flatfoot    -- 02-01-2023 @ 12:59 PM
  yes. They were adjusted by the book.

flatfoot    -- 02-01-2023 @ 1:04 PM
  My brakes are not hydraulic. I have original mechanical brakes. All necessary work has been done but still not very high pedal. Adjustment was by the formula everybody suggested. Brake pedal when applied is lower then the gas pedal. ?????

51woodie    -- 02-02-2023 @ 7:32 AM
  flatfoot. From the title of your post, I knew that you had mechanical brakes, and I have no knowledge of how they are adjusted. The issue I was referencing, was the contact area of the linings to the drums. Low contact area may not be the whole problem, but could be a factor. Have you checked what contact you have?

40 Coupe    -- 02-02-2023 @ 9:29 AM
  Do you have floaters? Are the brake linings woven of molded?

v8fordman    -- 02-10-2023 @ 6:27 PM
  There are many questions that you should ask yourself about the work.
Woven linens
How much were the drums turned
By chance, were shims added under the linings
Was the rod from pedal to cross shaft adjusted
Is there wear on any of the clevises or clevis pins
How about worn out backing plate push rods, rollers, etc

Just some thoughts

flatfoot    -- 03-04-2023 @ 11:24 AM
  Thanks to all for your very good suggestions and ideas. All have been applied, however, still have the problem. I have found a local mechanic that has experience with these old brakes, I hope.

Again, thank you all. Very helpful. Great club we have.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16205