Topic: Carb ID

silverchief    -- 07-29-2010 @ 10:34 AM

I have a carb off a 49 flathead truck engine with a metal tag stamped AUTOLITE 8 RT 9510 F

Did Autolite ever build a carb for Ford? I have never heard anyone on the Forum mention an Autolite carb.

Thanks

supereal    -- 07-29-2010 @ 10:44 AM
  Bill: Carbs for Fords were made by lots of manufacturers for outlets such as Western Auto, Warshawsky, and others. Most were accurate duplicates of the "real" units, unless they claimed to be "new and improved". Today, not all parts on the market for newer cars match the originals, and are often inferior quality to cut the price. We usually get critical parts from the dealer, instead to be sure.

silverchief    -- 07-29-2010 @ 4:24 PM
  Thanks Supereal - I am glad to know that.

Mine has - on the choke side of the bowl,- a square lightly cast into it, with the Ford logo, and USA.
Methinks it did not come from Henry's factory.

The more I work on my car, the more I learn about it - and if I were to shopping for the same year and model tomorrow - I would be much more knowledgeable. The old car hobby can be very frustrating -goes with the territory. It can also provide many hours of enjoyment.

Bill4d1merc    -- 07-29-2010 @ 6:35 PM
  Autolite is a Ford replacement parts supplier similar to Motorcraft which Ford started in the 70's to supply parts

Bill

supereal    -- 07-30-2010 @ 8:58 AM
  Bill: Learning about your car is a lot of what the Club is about. Years ago, when I started restorations, there was a very limited number of sources and advice for the hobbyist. Thanks to the Club, and places such as the Forum, help is plentiful and close. As my Dad used to say "no one lives long enough to make all the mistakes".

silverchief    -- 07-30-2010 @ 10:25 AM

Bill - thanks for that interesting information concerning Autolite and Motocraft.

Supereal - Im waiting for the new condensor. Going to double check the ground cable to the engine, and take another close look at the ignition swith.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1620