Topic: Overdrives

Chris    -- 07-28-2010 @ 2:31 PM
  I'm told that there is a 2 speed overdrive that takes the place of the torque tube on model A which is made by Mitch*ll. Can any one tell me if this will fit or if there is anything available for my stock 35 ford. Also, I'm looking for columbia 2 speed if anyone has one.
Thanks
Chris

supereal    -- 07-28-2010 @ 2:40 PM
  The Mitch*ll comes highly recommended. Finding a Columbia in good condition is rare today, and expensive if you do. Many were removed in salvage yards and the controls were lost. Almost all must be rebuilt due to the erosion of the soft metal parts. I looked at several when I was in the market for an OD, but none came close to the price I thought was reasonable for an axle in unknown shape. The OD in my '47 is a 3 to 1. It is fine above 40 mph, but I would have chosen a less "tall" unit to run with my 3-78 rear so I could stay in OD longer when running at city speeds.

oldford2    -- 07-28-2010 @ 4:53 PM
  Bob,
So what do you have for an overdrive? We just finished a 1500 mile R/T to Nova Scotia in our 46 fordor. Ran great in the 85-90 heat but wished for more when we had to get on the trans Canada. Thought about a Mitch*ll but a 3 month backlog. Now thinking about gear changing from 3.78 to 3.54. What is your opinion? We love cruising and have some long range trips we are looking at.
Thanks
John
John

Chris    -- 07-29-2010 @ 9:55 AM
  The question still stands. Does the mitch*ll O/D fit into a stock 35 ford? If so , do you have a website for them?
Thanks for any assistance.
Chris

supereal    -- 07-29-2010 @ 10:12 AM
  My OD is a Ryan. I installed it in 1997. I am not sure that they are still in business. It was produced by a man in Colorado, and is a high quality unit. The only complaint is that, when engaged, it sounds a bit like an old Ford truck with the audible whine. As I have an open car, it doesn't bother me. The phone number in my Rolodex for Mitch*ll is 800/859-2088. I don't have any experience with their OD, but have heard it is good. They originally made them for the Model A, but advertise that they have them thru '48. I wouldn't trade an OD for a low ratio rear end, as the OD gives the ability to run at highway speeds, yet retains the original gearing for traffic. Installing a new ring and pinion is not a job for a first timer, and the foreign made gear sets don't impress me. Another good thing about an OD is that you can pull it out and reinstall the original torque tube and driveshaft if you change cars.

Bill Wright    -- 07-29-2010 @ 5:22 PM
  I think the Mitch*ll OD is better than canned beer and sliced bread! I have one in my Grandfather's '28 Roadster and one in my '37 ForDor. I installed both of them myself. The roadster was more difficult and required the assistance of my machinist friend. Call Mitch*ll and they'll walk you through the whole process. In the '37 you have to remove the tube (Thank You Captain Obvious!), there's two different spline patterns for the differential input. Mine was shipped with the wrong one but Mitch*ll made the exchange in a matter of days. We had no way of knowing which one until the assembly was apart. They should supply everything you need to replace the existing driveline with the OD unit.I did both swaps in the driveway. These O/Drives Let Me Go Like the Wind!
Bill

Don't Believe Everything You Think!
Bill Wright

deluxe40    -- 07-29-2010 @ 5:27 PM
  Mitch*ll Manufacturing's email address is:

mitchmanfc@frontiernet.net

Contact them to determine fit. Some old Ford floorpans must be modified to use the Mitch*ll. It depends on both year and body style. The unit is 10" x 10" and is installed about 6 1/2" from the banjo. It extends 3" above and below the centerline of the torque tube.

This message was edited by deluxe40 on 7-29-10 @ 5:28 PM

37don    -- 07-30-2010 @ 5:14 AM
  Chris, I believe that you will have to make a slight mod of the floor pan where the back seat riser is.When I got mine I talked to the Mitch*lls and they told me that. On our 37 the gear box JUST clears the seat riser. All that said it is a great unit and very well built. The people at Mitch*ll will always be there for you, great people.

supereal    -- 07-30-2010 @ 8:51 AM
  We used a truck power takeoff cable to control the OD. I didn't like the idea of having a lever coming up thru the floor. It did require fabricating a mount on the OD. Inquire about this factor when you consider the installation. There seems to be a lot of concern about floorboard clearance. Due to the geometry of the rear axle and torque tube, the OD doesn't travel a considerable distance as the axle moves on the spring.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1616