Topic: remote starter button

silverchief    -- 07-28-2010 @ 1:32 PM
  Came across a nice remote starter switch I bought years ago that is used to engage the starter while you working under the hood setting timing, points, etc. I could use it now, but can't recall how to hook it up. Clips are only about 6 inches apart so I assume it is used to jump across the solenoid on the firewall but am not sure.

Thanks

Bill4d1merc    -- 07-28-2010 @ 2:06 PM
  I would think that one clip goes to ground and the other to the small terminal on the solenoid so it would complete the circuit the same way as pushing the start button inside the car. I think if you tried to jump across the two large terminals you will burn up the wires on the remote switch.

Bill

This message was edited by Bill4d1merc on 7-28-10 @ 2:07 PM

supereal    -- 07-28-2010 @ 2:54 PM
  All old Fords use a grounding starter button, so connect one side of the remote button to the small terminal on the solenoid, and the other to ground. I still have the remote button I made 60 years ago at a Ford garage. It is the standard starter button installed in one of the rubber balls that go on the front axle wishbone. It (and I) are both antiques, now.

Stroker    -- 07-28-2010 @ 3:17 PM
  I still have my McQuay-Norris starter button that I've had for 55 years. It has really heavy leads
and a big contactor that's about like the "innards" in a Ford starter solenoid. If it ever cr*ps-out, I'd prolly build one USING a Ford solenoid. Nothing is better at "bumping" a motor into position for all kinds of tasks, especially when you are working by yourself. It sounds like you have a "keeper".

sturgis 39    -- 07-28-2010 @ 10:33 PM
  THE BOTTOM OF SOME SOLENOIDS HAVE A BUTTON YOU CAN PUSH AND TURN THE STARTER.

silverchief    -- 07-29-2010 @ 10:40 AM
  Sturgis,

I have a 20 year old "how to" paperback by Peterson
regarding ignition systems. Talking about old Ford
starter solenoids he says "The better ones had a button on the bottom you could use while working on the car."

Unfortunately I have a "cheapo" I guess.

Thanks to everyone who answered.

clock47    -- 07-30-2010 @ 1:33 PM
  Unbelieveable- I logged on to ask the exact same question! I had a remote starter switch years ago but could not remember where the wires went, so I bought one recently made by Lisle only to get home and find out my wife had ordered one on-line from KD. The KD instructions are "to use, connect from the positive battery terminal to the energizing terminal of solenoid" and the Lisle says "attach one clip to the ignition switch side and the other to the battery terminal of the solenoid" After looking at my new wiring harness diagram it appears the small terminal which is perpendicular to the two larger terminals is the wire connection to the truck start buttonis what I have) and one of the large terminals is wired to the non-ground side of the battery.
I'm sure you have already solved your problem, but I am always concerned when I hook up stuff to the battery. Let me know if it worked and thanks for asking the question

oldford2    -- 07-30-2010 @ 1:46 PM
  Clock47,
Oh my goodness!! Your wife is ordering parts for you?? Where did you find her? Be nice to her, she is a keeper.
John

clock47    -- 07-30-2010 @ 2:00 PM
  yea, I've had her awhile and she is a keeper! However, she says she will never pour concrete after helping me with a driveway addition - oh well guess I just won't do any more concrete work & I'm fine with that.

jc    -- 07-30-2010 @ 3:24 PM
  I am installing a '47 59ab engine in '34 coupe and I forgot how I did this about 45 yrs ago. I have interference at the front end of the engine with the stock crossmember. Anyone been throught this lately?

supereal    -- 07-30-2010 @ 3:33 PM
  If the solenoid has one small terminal, you ground that to activate the solenoid. If it has two small terminals, one is connected to the battery, usually by a jumper to the battery side of the solenoid, the other is grounded thru the starter button to pull the solenoid. The change was made to produce a "universal" solenoid that could be used on different systems. You don't need a relay, etc, for a remote button. Just the button and a pair of wires with clips on the end.

ford38v8    -- 07-30-2010 @ 8:19 PM
  JC, Welcome to our Forum. The answer to your question, I believe, is that you need to use truck water pumps. Please, in the future, remember how this Forum works best: The title of the original post is the subject discussed. You can create your own post with your question, or look up a similar post for your answer.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1614