Topic: 1951 1952 1953 239 V8 condenser

Grant    -- 11-16-2022 @ 5:13 AM
  Can anyone recommend the best condenser to use in the late 239 cubic inch V8 Ford engines?

Source? Part number?

Conversely, would there be a brand of condenser which ought to be avoided?

51504bat    -- 11-16-2022 @ 5:51 AM
  Contact "Tubman" on the Ford Barn. The condensers he makes have an excellent rep and he stands behind his product. Not the cheapest out there but IMO the best. Others may have different opinions.

sarahcecelia    -- 11-16-2022 @ 6:31 AM
  I worked on cars sice 1961, (For car dealers, and repair garages)and VERY SELDOM had to change a condensor that went bad!!(It's a fools errand) I just installed the points!My '50 Crestliner has the same condensor I got when I bought the car 9 years ago!! Another thing- Points will burn a little; but if the car runs good- Don't change them either. I had a 1950 Ford in 1955; ran it for 5 or 6 years , and never did any thing but change the oil!!; because i didn't know how, and couldn't afford to pay amechanic on my .75 cents an hour pay!! By the way; in 1951 Detergent oil came on the market!!AHA!!

Regards, Steve Lee

Grant    -- 11-17-2022 @ 6:15 AM
  Thanks for your input, gentlemen.

My thought was that a fellow EFV8COA member might know of a reliable 1951/1952/1953 flathead Ford V8 condenser being currently available at a local supplier like NAPA or O'Reilly's or Carquest, etc.

JayChicago    -- 11-17-2022 @ 8:48 AM
  I have read here that the Echlin IH-200, available from NAPA, is a reliable condenser. I think (not sure) that it will fit your year distributor/coil.

same    -- 11-17-2022 @ 2:17 PM
  hey Grant, on my '37 ford 21 stud i had replaced the po,s modern condensor with a napa ech FA-54 which has the proper micro ferrad rating i believe is what iv'e read hear on the forum. something like .27 mf. i installed about 2 yrs. ago. if mf rating is incorrect it will get to hot and fail. was 15 bucks back then. mines mounted on top of generator inline of fan breeze. Tom. i also replaced the coil at same time,which i got from dennis carpenter i believe . i also think the 6volt coil;s yopu can get from farm stores for ford 8N's will work as well.

This message was edited by same on 11-17-22 @ 2:54 PM

JayChicago    -- 11-18-2022 @ 10:00 AM
  "if mf rating is incorrect it will get to hot and fail"

I have read info posted by Tubman (mentioned above, an expert on condensers) saying the microfarad rating on your condenser is not important. He said the difference to operation is miniscule, all will work just fine.

The bigger problem with condensers seems to be that many new condensers will be defective right out of the box. Thats the reason Echlin brand has been recommended, because you are less likely to get a bad one.

Also, have read that NOS condensers are almost certainly bad. They have fine insulator sheets inside made of paper. The insulator sheets will deteriorate over time, even when just sitting on a shelf.

This message was edited by JayChicago on 11-18-22 @ 10:06 AM

Grant    -- 11-19-2022 @ 5:56 AM
  Thanks again for the responses.

I've suspected for a couple of weeks that the recently-installed NOS (NORS?) condenser inside our project's distributor is no good.

A new one from Echlin will be acquired at a local NAPA outlet. And in the fullness of time, perhaps from Tubman as well.

During the 2014 Central National Meet, Bubba (Jim Linder) put on an excellent presentation about flathead V8 ignition. He had with him a full box of brand new condensers. Three tested as being good quality, useable parts. The rest were defective.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16075