Topic: 1936 cabriolet gas tank

Soundguy2000    -- 11-14-2022 @ 11:32 AM
  I had a friend check on my car this last weekend and looks like the car is leaking some gas from the tank. Does anybody have a gas tank type preference? with the gas tank out? Should I go ahead and replace the holding straps in the sending unit and anything else that’s associated with that tank? also, is changing out that gas tank a very hard job? I’ve never changed one out before.

Steve Kennedy    -- 11-14-2022 @ 5:09 PM
  As much as I like stainless steel, I can't recommend the Stainless Steel tank that is offered for the '36. The hole(s) for the sending unit do NOT line up with the access hole in the trunk. The sending unit is not even visible through the access hole. The second hole is for the submersible fuel pump.

This message was edited by Steve Kennedy on 11-14-22 @ 5:11 PM

40 Coupe    -- 11-15-2022 @ 5:41 AM
  Suggest you have your original leaking tank repaired and sealed

alanwoodieman    -- 11-15-2022 @ 6:15 AM
  as I hopefully remember, filler neck is scr*w*d into the tank with a lead seal, the neck must be scr*w*d out, the sending unit wire disconnected, the gas line must be disconnected. remove the bolts securing the tank to the frame, raise up the drivers side of tank and pull/pry down on the pass side, sometimes a little tricky to get past the frame rail. I have had success with pour 15 tank leak repair/sealer--follow their directions. Good Luck

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-15-2022 @ 7:19 AM
  clean and reseal your tank
I did my 37 in 1976 and it is still not leaking,
what I heard the new tanks are for Street Rods,
I just used EASTWOOD'S SEALER on JEEP TANK last summer.
just follow the directions and you should have no problems,
my 2 cents 37 Ragtopman, Maine

if you use 5/16 steel nuts, like a box of them , you tumble the tank with them inside, use with water
so you can flush any dirt, might have to do a few time's
they you can pick out the nuts with rod with a magnet
Then put out in the sun to dry out, make sure it is dry before resealing,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 11-15-22 @ 3:15 PM

dean333    -- 11-15-2022 @ 9:18 AM
  I pulled the tank on my 36 sedan and cleaned it using electrolysis, was clean as a whistle. I then coated it with that red stuff, don’t remember the product name.

TIM CARLIG

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16070