Topic: Where to set the 8 mark timing plate on a 41 "Dome

martin.scheffer@gmail.com    -- 11-01-2022 @ 10:56 AM
  Finding it quite difficult to locate info as to where best to initially set the little 8 mark timing plate on the side of my distributer. It was set at the most advanced (point 4 to the right) when I completely disassembled the ignition (You Tube Ford Early V8 Dome Dist. Rebuild) Everything looked OK but I changed out the points for good measure setting them at 14. Getting ready to reinstall the ignition when reading the Forum this morning I note that only a professional with the right dwell setting equipment should tackle this job. What makes this job so different? I would have to agree that working inside this diving bell helmet for midgets isn't the easiest but what could go wrong. It does not seem much different than the more ordinary distributers I have set the dwell on for years.

pauls39coupe    -- 11-01-2022 @ 5:35 PM
  In a perfect world the distributor should be set on a strob-o-scope, Sun distributor tester, KR Wilson timing device or something similar. The dwell is normally set by blocking one set of points setting the dwell, then setting the total dwell on both points at a total of 36*.
In reality setting both points at .014 will get you in the ballpark just fine. Set the timing at the first line advanced, and take the car for a drive. If it starts OK , bump the advance up a bit, see what the car likes. Back off the vacuum brake unless you hear spark knock under acceleration.
If you feel the need for perfection Skip Haney or one of the many other vendors can set your distributor up for a modest fee.

martin.scheffer@gmail.com    -- 11-02-2022 @ 10:05 AM
  Thank you for your reply Paul. I will be shopping for a mechanic familiar with older cars (gosh my license plate here in Idaho says "Antique") given that I am only 3 years older than the car, I am not too interested in sliding under it to repair a few issues other than change the oil. Maybe this mechanic's shop will have the mentioned Sun equipment.

40 Coupe    -- 11-03-2022 @ 5:27 AM
  Skip Haney in Fla and Michael at Third Gen Auto in Tenn have the proper machines to time your distributor and Skip can also rebuild an original coil as well

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16056