Topic: Hand Crank

46coupe    -- 10-31-2022 @ 8:19 AM
  I posted a request in the parts wanted section for a hand crank for my 46 Super Deluxe. Does anyone have one that could send me a picture of it? I saw a picture of one a few years ago but didn't save it.
The restoration book does not have any mention of it. I heard that there was a crank issued with the car and that it was a folding one. I checked my crank and there is a place to put a crank handle. Any help is appreciated. All the ones on ebay seem to be for Ford tractors.
Thanks
Brad

TomO    -- 10-31-2022 @ 9:19 AM
  Try Lin Stacey linstacey@sbcglobal.net

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-31-2022 @ 9:28 AM
  HI
did you try Lin Stacy ? the V8 FORD TOOL MAN HE is in the V8 TIMES under shop talk' advisory panel
linstacy@sbcglobal.net
hope this helps. 37RAGTOPMAN, Maine if not a memeber ,
might be a good idea to join,
the V8 TIMES, is a GREAT HELP and a FANTASTIC READ, with a wealth of knowledge
you might meet a fellow memebers in your area, at the local club meeting

the starting crank comes in 2 parts. the one that goes though the grill varies by year of car or truck by its length
they go together like a socket wrench, square drive,

46coupe    -- 10-31-2022 @ 9:44 AM
  My next email was going to be to Lin Stacy, I bought a jack from him awhile back. Your description at the end of your post answered several of my questions. Thanks for your help.
BTW I'm already a member for several years and I agree it's a great club with members like you and Tom.

kubes40    -- 10-31-2022 @ 3:52 PM
  Also, by 1946, the crank was no longer standard issue and if desired, would be supplied by the dealership.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

46coupe    -- 10-31-2022 @ 6:49 PM
  Thanks, Kube

carcrazy    -- 10-31-2022 @ 8:08 PM
  Are there holes in your radiator and grille to accept a hand crank? If there are and you want to use the hand crank to turn the engine over, you can get a deep well socket wrench to fit on the crank pulley ratchet bolt. You could then insert an extension shaft through the holes in the grille and radiator to turn the engine.

kubes40    -- 11-01-2022 @ 6:01 AM
  Carcrazy, the issue with your method is should the engine start, well, expect at minimum a broken finger.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-01-2022 @ 6:02 AM
  using a socket [ if you can find one that fits over the ratchet nut ] is maybe ok for turning the engine over but NOT for STARTING,
The crankshaft nut is a ratchet nut , this means if you use for starting, once the engine starts it disengages
the starting hand crank .
and be sure NEVER WRAP your thumb around the starting crank, because of kick back
maybe a FORD CATALOG with photos would help, they are free, C&G and others
hope this helps 37Ragtopman
I enclosed a PHOTO of the ratchet nut 6319 this may help you can see it only works one way to the right, direction of engine

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 11-1-22 @ 9:31 AM

carcrazy    -- 11-01-2022 @ 9:01 AM
  Should have mentioned, turn ignition off before turning engine over with a wrench. Make it much easier to turn by also removing all of the spark plugs.

kubes40    -- 11-01-2022 @ 11:04 AM
  A thin wall deep socket is readily available and will fit over the bolt in the end of the crankshaft. I doubt it will fit through the opening n the grille or the radiator.
By (at least) 1940, the extension rod and respective crank were service parts. In other words, they were NOT included in the factory tool kit.
I have attached a photo of the two pieces. i am not certain of the rod length for '46.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

46coupe    -- 11-01-2022 @ 12:49 PM
  Thanks all for your input. I just thought it would be great to find one to put with my tool display. I've had experience using a crank handle on model Ts. My thumb is always pointing to the engine when I am gripping a crank handle. Yes, there is an opening at the bottom of the radiator to fit a crank handle. It's
a early 46 so maybe the crank handle was offered as a option by the dealer?
Thanks again for the help and the pictures.
Brad

42wagon    -- 11-02-2022 @ 6:03 AM
  You should get the 41 t0 48 Ford book which has a chapter on tools. You will find that a hand crank was not one of the tools furnished with the car.

46coupe    -- 11-02-2022 @ 12:07 PM
  i have the book. I was told that it was possibly a dealer option in Dec of 45 when the car was built. Even if it wasn't an option for the customer, I'd like to find one to try on my car and add to my tool collection.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16053