Topic: 34 Ford Standard Taillights

Lug Wrench    -- 10-17-2022 @ 6:18 AM
  Good morning, I am new to the V8 Forum and proud to be a V8 Ford Caretaker. I have a 34 Ford Standard 5 Window Coupe and I have a question concerning the taillights. The coupe is a rumble seat car and has two taillights. Researching the characteristics of a Standard Coupe only indicates one taillight. My question, because my car has a rumble seat did, they installed the second taillight for the step for the rumble seat?
Thank you for your time and efforts,
Mike

marko39    -- 10-17-2022 @ 7:17 AM
  Some states required that cars have two lights.

40 Coupe    -- 10-18-2022 @ 5:15 AM
  I believe the rumble seat was an accessory and when it was ordered the second tail light was part of the accessory package.
Yes some states did require two tail lights but I am not sure this was true in 34 by 1940 there was a short list of states with this requirement.

1934 Ford    -- 10-21-2022 @ 4:44 PM
  You are right, Standard 34's had one tail light, no cowl lights, no Cigar lighter an all had two tone paint with black fenders and one horn. Lots of owners added a seccond tail light, cowl lights, two chrome horns, a chrome windshield frame. Later many restorers changed their Standard to Deluxe by adding all that stuff plus changing the dash to the one with a cigar lighter and changing the interior window moldings to the fancier Deluxe woodgrained style.
Show us a picture of your 5 Window., please.

1934 Ford's since 1972

Lug Wrench    -- 10-24-2022 @ 6:09 AM
  Thanks everyone that has responded to my inquiry. From your comments I believe having the second taillight is required on a standard with the rumble seat option. Attached are a few pictures of my thirty-four. If you look at the firewall picture you can see the original color which I believe is Vineyard Green. Hopefully, one day I will be able to bring it back to its original color. Thanks again for everyone ones’ comments.
Mike

3w2    -- 10-24-2022 @ 9:17 AM
  You've a really nice looking '34 coupe.

1934 Ford    -- 10-27-2022 @ 9:46 AM
  Nice little car, somebody has worked hard to get it to 88 years old in that complete condition. Enjoyit like it is and don;t be in a hurry to take it apart. The 34 Ford is a great car to drive and enjoy. We've had 4 of them and drivien then all over the USA.

1934 Ford's since 1972

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16024