Topic: new old problem

silverchief    -- 07-25-2010 @ 4:58 PM
  Just had the carb rebuilt and installed on my 49.
Have pressure regulator set at 2 lbs. Cleaned filter
mounted at rear of pump, couldn't find replacement.
New filter between pump and tank. Blew out gas line between pump and carb. Check fuel flow at carb before starting and it is steady. Electric pump only.

Starts immediately hot or cold. When cold, idles smmoth, and accelerates nicely with pull on throttle rod. However, as engine slowly warms up to operating temp, it gradually starts to lope at idle, it soon gets worse, necessitating gentle pressure with accelerator necessary to keep it running at moderate speed, but very rough, as if missing. Applying choke, even to the hot engine, seems to help.

Release accelerator and it dies.

This the same thing it was doing before I had the carb rebuilt. If it is a fuel delivery problem, why does it take so long to show up? You would think it would act up immediately.

My mechanic is 3 miles away. No way will it make it to his garage. Help wanted.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-25-2010 @ 5:36 PM
  Try with out the gas cap,maybe it is causing a vacuumn in the tank and starving for fuel ?
do you have a new fuel line front to rear,
has the tank be cleaned ? it might be picking up a foreign object and clogging the line,
the new gas seems to break up the cork float,and might be breaking up and cork falling off.
if it runs ok cold and when warmes up, it might have used up the fuel that trickled in the line or filters,
what type of FORD are you trying to fix?
also touch the coil see if it is very hot,
it might be on the way out, and takes a while for it to act up,
personally I would remove the electric pump and filters, and go back to HENRY's WAY,
to test the system,
I only have a rebuilt ORIGINAL pump and a inline filter installed at the front of the car were it starts to come up,on my 37, this is for the last 35 years,[ bought the fuel pump kit from ANTIQUE PARTS CELLAR,]
why does everybody have to install a electric pump is a wonder to me,I could understand if the push rod surface on the cam was worn down,
also is the fuel pump attached to the IGNITION CIRCUIT ? when you turn the key on?
the MORE you add the MORE GOES WRONG
hope this helps 37 RAGTOPMAN KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,,!!!
LETS HEAR HOW YOU MADE OUT, WE NEED MORE INFO,,,!!!

sturgis 39    -- 07-25-2010 @ 7:28 PM
  A STICKY FLOAT WILL MAKE AN ENGINE IDLE ROUGH.IT COULD BE THE NEEDLE VALVE STICKING TOO.

silverchief    -- 07-25-2010 @ 7:44 PM
  Thanks Ragtopman,

The car is 49 sedan.
Didn't have a choice re fuel pump - without long explanation, had to go electric. I will take the cap off
when I start again tomorrow.

silverchief    -- 07-25-2010 @ 7:46 PM
  Thanks Sturgis,

Just got the carb out of the shop two days ago. I hate to think the needle or float would be sticking already.

trjford8    -- 07-25-2010 @ 7:58 PM
  What type of pressure regulator are you using? If you are using the adjustable dial type this may be your problem. I have found those to be a problem with fuel delivery when the engine gets warm. If you need the pressure regulator I would use the Holley type. You adjust the pressure by changing the internal spring.

nelsb01    -- 07-25-2010 @ 9:13 PM
  Agree with trjford8---
Dial regulators are a vapor lock waiting to happen, and with engine heat building as you drive, pretty sure you are experiencing vapor lock at the dial regulator.
Switch it out.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1599