Topic: Tracking Car's History

shadeboy    -- 10-04-2022 @ 6:06 AM
  I am new to the forum and am looking for a starting point to track the history of my '39 Deluxe. I know it came from California to the east coast in '93 but that's about all I have been able to ascertain. Any help would be appreciated.

trjford8    -- 10-04-2022 @ 6:59 AM
  If you are looking for prior owners that is always a challenge. Unless you have some old registration certificates with names on them you are most likely out of luck. State departments of motor vehicles only keep info for a certain period of time and due to privacy laws they will not give you any past information. If you have at least one name of a prior owner that is a good starting point. If the owner was a V-8 Club member he would be listed in one of the old V-8 Club rosters. Finding the history without a name of a prior owner is basically a futile effort.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 10-4-22 @ 7:00 AM

wmsteed    -- 10-04-2022 @ 8:54 AM
  I will second what trjford8 said in his contribution to this topic, with a few added comments.
Ford was not very good at documenting the products they made, therefore, there is very little if any paper trail and/or records from the early years of the Company. The serial number of a EFV8 is for all practicle purposes is useless because it is nothing more than a sequential production number that was assigned at Fords engine plant when the transmission was mated to the engine.
The serial number was then transferred from the transmission to the chassis, with no documentation as to the location of the assembly plant, date of the assembly, etc.
Rather than getting yourself all worked up trying to find information that is unavailable, just enjoy your car as it is.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

shadeboy    -- 10-04-2022 @ 12:24 PM
  Thanks for the tips. I had tried tracking via the VIN and now know that is pretty much useless. I do have the name of the owner from California though so will try that approach.

trjford8    -- 10-04-2022 @ 1:43 PM
  With the name of the owner you now have a good start. It may or may not take you very far, but at least you have more than many owners get when they buy an old V-8. Good luck and let us know how it worked out.

wmsteed    -- 10-05-2022 @ 8:41 AM
  By all means contact the previous owner in California, you might open a Pandora's box of information about the car, however, if the car was sold via an auction it might result in a dead end.
If you got a original owners manual with the car look through it. Many times you will find some interesting notes in the manual.
I recently purchased a '38 Buick Special 2dr sdn, The car was represented as being a one owner car that a woman in Kansas City bought new in 1938. The car has 37.k on the odometer, original paint and upholstery. Chrome, etc., in near perfect condition.
Reading through the owners manual I found notations about service work from 1938/41. No entry's from '41 to 46, which told me the car was taken out of service during WWII.
Service stickers on the door jamb also documented the low mileage.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15987