Topic: 6 volt battery under the hood

flatfoot    -- 09-30-2022 @ 4:07 PM
  I have an unrestored '36 Ford 4dr sedan deluxe. The battery is mounted under the drivers side floorboard. Would be safe to relocate the mount under the hood on the right side (passenger side)? I can get a zinc coated mount or stainless steel mounting box to fit it in this location. It sure would be easier to get to when needed.

What do you all think about this?
No, I do not show the car it is my everyday driver.
It is what I was told a survivor car.

This message was edited by flatfoot on 11-15-22 @ 4:19 PM

fordv8j    -- 09-30-2022 @ 4:26 PM
  Ford started putting them under hood in 1937....so should be ok

ford38v8    -- 09-30-2022 @ 4:31 PM
  Your car has survived for 86 years in its present configuration, but now you want to begin a process of change to that which has a proven history of success. I don’t think you’ll find many on this forum who would consider this to be a good idea.

Alan

pauls39coupe    -- 09-30-2022 @ 6:02 PM
  Seems like the 36 is a bit tight under the hood. It would make changing spark plugs difficult among other things, and the prospect of battery acid getting on the firewall/engine turns me off. You would need to redo the battery cables grounding the frame and engine, and the cabal to the starter switch would have to cross in a tight area . I think it would be more trouble than it is worth.
What is wrong with the original location? It worked since 1936.
Paul

alanwoodieman    -- 09-30-2022 @ 6:58 PM
  when I worked on a 36 I had trouble with the height of the new 6 volt batteries, to solve this problem I made a spacer for the top cover out of marine plywood, painted it black and it was only slightly noticeable under the floor mat

40 Coupe    -- 10-01-2022 @ 5:51 AM
  I would not move the battery if you want your vehicle to look like a 36. There is a fellow who makes a taller cover for the battery or another battery holder can be made without modification to the frame to lower a Optima and hold it securely.

wmsteed    -- 10-02-2022 @ 10:11 AM
  I would have to agree with the other contributions to relocating the battery to the engine compartment... The space between the engine and the inner splash pan is very minimal for a battery.
If you use an Optima battery, the yellow one, it can be laid on its side in the original battery box which solves the height problem.
I moved my battery in my '36 coupe many years ago to a location behind the seat because I needed space for dual exhausts.
Moving the battery to the right side of the engine compartment will require extensive modifications to the wiring system.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

ford38v8    -- 10-02-2022 @ 3:26 PM
  Bill, a correction for you: The Optima Yellow Top is a deep cycle battery, more suited for use in a boat. An Optima Red Top is for automotive use with a generator.

Alan

wmsteed    -- 10-03-2022 @ 10:54 AM
  A battery does not know if it's in a boat/vessel or a car.
I have yellow Optima batteries in two vehicles, my '39 Plym and my '64 Chevy C10, both of which are V8 12v.
The 39 Plym has had a yellow Optima in it since 1994, the '64 Chevy since 2015. I keep a battery tender hooked up to the Plym because of it's limited use, the '64 is used several times a month so i don't use a battery tender on it.
I know the '64 Chevy will start right up after sitting for weeks, it's fuel injected, the Plym will start right up once I prime the carb with the aux wired electric fuel pump.
Hmmmm.. might be a good idea to have a marine type battery in a vehicle if you live in one of the south-eastern states like Florida.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

CharlieStephens    -- 10-03-2022 @ 11:41 AM
  Unless you buy a cheap battery it should last for 5 to 10 years. Much easier to leave it where it is.

Charlie Stephens

supereal    -- 10-04-2022 @ 9:44 AM
  Remounting the battery from under the floorboards to the hood is a tradeoff between access and higher temperature for the battery. Engine heat can cause low level of the fluid in the battery due to evaporation. That is a reason so many of us switched to a redtop Optima. No more having to check the battery for low fluid level with the saturated glass mat construction.

flatfoot    -- 10-25-2022 @ 5:03 PM
  Thank you all I am NOT going to move the battery under the hood. Bad, bad, bad idea.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15980