Topic: valves

JohnA    -- 09-28-2022 @ 4:04 PM
  on my 239 stock engine, if I decide to a valve job can I do it with engine still in car, will I have problem getting valve guide out, car is parked in very tight place over winter so will not be able to get engine to machine shop, how can I free up valves for short fix. Johna

carcrazy    -- 09-28-2022 @ 8:27 PM
  What year Ford V-8 engine are you working on? Has the engine been run recently? You can get the valves out of the engine with the engine in the car. Getting the valve guides out of the engine can be a real challenge.

To make the job easier, remove the hood from the car after marking the hinges and surrounding mounting surfaces. This is done so that you can more easily replace the hood in its original position.

You will need at least a couple of special tools to remove the valves: one is a valve lifter prybar to pull the guides down and the other is a hook to remove the valve guide retainers.

The earlier 239 V-8s 1948 and earlier have split guides which must be kept together as they were originally installed in the engine and mushroom valve stems. The later 239 V8s, 1949 & later passenger cars and 1948 & later trucks have one piece guides which are a little easier to work with and straight valve stems.

If the valves are not in too bad a condition, you may be able to free up stuck valves without having to remove them from the engine.

One way to free them up is to remove the cylinder heads after draining the coolant, remove the intake manifold and use a good penetrating oil and/or Marvel Mystery Oil on all of the valve stems and guides. Allow the oils to soak into the spaces between the valves and the guides overnight.

Turn the engine over by hand in a clockwise direction (to keep the crank pulley bolt from coming loose) by using a wrench on the crank pully. Watch the valves while you rotate the crankshaft. Some of them may already be loosening up. Those valves that are stuck open can be freed up by carefully doing the following: first make sure the tappet for the frozen valve is contacting the base circle of the camshaft lobe (valve closed position) then hit the top of the valve squarely with a rubber mallet to drive the valve down to the closed position.

You may have to repeat this procedure for several days to loosen up some of the stubborn stuck valves. Once you have all of the valves freed up check the valve clearances as measured between the valve stem and its tappet.

If the valves clearances are smaller than specified, the valve can be removed and the valve stem end ground squarely to achieve the required clearance. If the valve clearances are too loose, the valve sealing surface can be ground to reduce the valve clearance.

JohnA    -- 09-29-2022 @ 6:22 AM
  Thank you, you been very helpful. Johna

supereal    -- 10-09-2022 @ 10:39 AM
  By the time you strip the engine in place to work on the valves, you may as well pull the motor. This will allow an inspection for necessary repairs, and upgrades such as new hardened valve seats, as well as a thorough removal of sludge, etc, from the valve valley and oil pan.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15975