Topic: Hard Restart

hlw39del    -- 09-27-2022 @ 1:49 PM
  Have a 39 Deluxe Tudor with the 221 cu.in. flathead. Factory carb. ..... starts immediately when engine is cold. If I turn it off almost immediately, it will not restart for maybe 15-30 min. Then it starts easily and runs well. But next time I turn it off, it won’t start again for awhile. It currently has gas with ethanol in the tank. Could that be the problem ?
Can’t drive with any traffic ( country roads only ). Afraid I might kill the engine and not be able to restart it.
Your thoughts and advice will be much appreciated !

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-27-2022 @ 2:59 PM
  hard starting HOT.
I had the same problem with my 37,,
sent the coi and distributer to SKIP . to get rebuilt
PROBLEM SOLVED.
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT,,,,
also make sure all your battery connections and electrical conection on the ign switch and resister, are clean and tight,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman,. Maine

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 10-12-22 @ 7:33 AM

hlw39del    -- 09-27-2022 @ 3:29 PM
  Thank you. I’ll consider it. HLW

pauls39coupe    -- 09-27-2022 @ 6:26 PM
  Try replacing the condenser first, it is a likely suspect if the car won't restart after a quick start-stop.
Skip's coils are the best if the condenser does not solve the problem.
Paul

JayChicago    -- 09-28-2022 @ 8:54 AM
  To pile on to what was already said above:
Both the coil and condenser often work fine when cold but then get weak when warm. (not necessarily under-hood warmth; they get warm from electrical load while operating)

You could check the condition of the spark when cold by holding a plug lead near a head bolt while cranking. Should get a nice blue spark about 1/2 inch long. Then check again when engine is not wanting to start. If spark looks weak, you have diagnosed the problem.

Agree condenser is the easiest and cheapest to change to see if that was the problem.
Also agree a coil rebuilt by Skip Haney is better than any new aftermarket coil. See a recent post here with contact info on Skip.

TomO    -- 09-28-2022 @ 8:57 AM
  Check the spark after starting the engine and let it run until ut is at operating temperature. It should be blue in color and about 1/2" long at idle. If it is orange in color follow the advice in the previous posts.

If the spark is OK, remove the air cleaner, shut off the engine and look down the carburetor throat. If you see fuel dribbling out, the carburetor needs to be rebuilt. Send it to Charley Schwendler in NY.

If you do not see fuel dribbling out, try holding the gas pedal to the floor and cranking the engine.

Tom

supereal    -- 10-01-2022 @ 9:04 AM
  Slow cranking with warm or hot engine can be caused by a hot starter. Located just below an exhaust manifold, it can get heated to the point that the resistance in the windings increases considerably, reducing the current. Worn bushings may allow the armature to contact the pole shoes, causing a drag. Replacing the starter with a rebuilt unit is the best cure.

hlw39del    -- 10-04-2022 @ 1:35 PM
  Thanks very much. I’ll look into that. HLW

hlw39del    -- 10-04-2022 @ 1:37 PM
  Thanks for the advice. HLW

hlw39del    -- 10-04-2022 @ 1:39 PM
  Thanks for your advice. HLW

hlw39del    -- 10-04-2022 @ 1:43 PM
  Thank you, Paul

hlw39del    -- 10-04-2022 @ 1:44 PM
  Thanks for the advice !

hlw39del    -- 10-04-2022 @ 6:06 PM
  Thanks for your advice ! Hugh

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-12-2022 @ 7:29 AM
  HARD STARTING. HOT
to test the coil try running the engine till operating temperture.
try starting the engine, if it does NOT START,
TRY A ICE PACK on the COIL, wait a few minutes,, try starting the engine, if
IT STARTS, you COIL IS WEAK and needs to be REBUILT
hope this helps 37 Ragtopman ,Maine

fritzford    -- 10-13-2022 @ 11:02 AM
  You could try the accelerator pump settings. I had hard starting until in set the accel pump on the "summer" setting. Hot starts take half a crank now.

wilsonsk    -- 11-01-2022 @ 12:59 PM
  I was having this issue with my 8BA, it cranked slow hot as well. I put a new coil on it and put new 1 gauge cables on in, including a new body/engine strap. barely makes a turn hot and it's running now. I was blaming ethanol fuel boiling and vapor locking. Electrics solved it in the Fleet Farm parking lot.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15972