Topic: 1938 add on oil filter

Civilwarlife    -- 09-23-2022 @ 5:14 PM
  My 38 does not have an oil filter. I wpuld like to find an original to put in my cay since I will be doing some touring. Any help finding one would be appreciated. Thanks
Terry

alanwoodieman    -- 09-23-2022 @ 7:24 PM
  my slightly bad memory says that 39 was the first year, a canister that was connected between two hoses and was replaced with a new canister. I would also say that the bypass filter from a 40 engine would be simple to install and effective as they ever were. I assume that we are talking about a 24 stud engine?

ford38v8    -- 09-23-2022 @ 7:50 PM
  An original would be next to impossible to find, but most any, including certain aftermarket would be a simple bolt-on installation. It would be helpful to know the details of your present engine to be able to advise a compatible filter.

Alan

40 Coupe    -- 09-24-2022 @ 4:55 AM
  The first oil filter offered by Ford in 36 as an accessory and continued into 1940 is the AC filter. In 40 Ford started offering the Fram filter and discontinued the use of the AC. The clubs 38-39 restoration book has great info regarding the AC filter.

marko39    -- 09-24-2022 @ 6:50 AM
  A filter is a good idea but you need to find a return for it. There were special banjo bolts used that would return oil either thru fuel pump stand or distributor front cover. I made a return in my oil pan but had the pan off at the time on my 39.

Civilwarlife    -- 09-24-2022 @ 8:24 PM
  I would like a photograph showing location and placement of an original filter if possible
Thanks
Terry

They are only original once

Civilwarlife    -- 09-25-2022 @ 8:39 PM
  My engine is an 85 hp unit in a deluxe 1938 car and is original to the car. I don't think it ever had a n oil filter. Thanks
Terry

ford38v8    -- 09-25-2022 @ 10:30 PM
  Terry, Ford rated its V8 as 85 hp from 1934 through 1940. If yours is original to the car, it could have either 21 or 24 studs. If it is 24, what markings are on the heads? I’m not sure if an original oil filter will mount on a 24 stud engine. The entire original canister, as stated previously, was disposable, and mounted horizontally on the left side of the block above the head. These units are just not available at all today, and most V8ers have never seen one. I make this point because you continue to refer to an original filter for your car. A previous post on this thread mentioned that he had a mount for an original, and there was a similar canister made in Canada some years ago, but I haven’t heard if anyone has successfully adapted them for your purpose, or even if any are still available

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 9-25-22 @ 10:31 PM

carcrazy    -- 09-26-2022 @ 12:49 AM
  While you may not be able to find an original oil filter for a 1938 Ford, you may be able to find one for a 1940 Ford.

If your car has the 24 stud engine, the filter assembly for the 1940 Ford will fit. Part Number 01A-18658-A is a vertically mounted oil filter assembly that mounts on the left cylinder head between cylinders 5 and 6. It uses a replaceable filter element.

42wagon    -- 09-26-2022 @ 8:12 AM
  Keep in mind that until 1946 an oil filter was not standard equipment for any V8. Therefore if you wanted one it would be what the dealer had in stock and would install. You might have also been able to purchase one as a kit from an after market dealer such as Western Auto. Therefore I am not sure what would be considered an original oil filter.

The 1946 style is a canister that bolts on a bracket on the cylinder head. It has an inlet fitting over below the fuel pump and an outlet into the oil pan. It has a replaceable cartridge about the size of a roll of toilet paper. In fact some people advocated using a roll of toilet paper in lieu of the cartridge.

wmsteed    -- 09-26-2022 @ 9:14 AM
  As I recall the filter assembly bolted to the left cylinder head was the most common type of oil filter found on the EFV8's...
Many people liked a remote filter, the most common being a "Beehive".. That is what i have on my '36 w/59AB engine.
If your car is not a concourse quality car you can use any aftermarket fillter, the Fram and/or Beehive type, which is still available from many of the after-market vendors.
I think I have at least one Fram type of filter in my parts stash.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

wmsteed    -- 09-26-2022 @ 9:20 AM
  Hmmmm. For some unknown reason the pix of the Beehive filter on my '36 did not attach to my early comment. l'll try a again.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

Civilwarlife    -- 09-29-2022 @ 11:17 AM
  Thanks for all the detailed replies. When I said I wanted an original filter I think I muddied the water. What I want is a period correct filter that will help clean the oil and not be a points deduction st a good car show. I like the idea of a replaceable cannister. Attached is a photo of my head number. I'm not sure if it is 31 or 24 stud. Any halp finding the filter and the parts needed to install it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Terry

carcrazy    -- 09-29-2022 @ 1:29 PM
  You are in luck! Your cylinder head, P.N. 81A-6050-A, has 24 studs. The later Ford partial flow oil filters will bolt onto to this head.

Civilwarlife    -- 09-29-2022 @ 3:39 PM
  Is the beehive filter correct for 38. I am preparing for concouts events. Are hoses and mounting brackets available? Thanks
Terry

ford38v8    -- 09-29-2022 @ 8:19 PM
  Terry, the beehive is an aftermarket item, never correct for Concourse, however, if that’s what you want, go for it, as the point deduction in the V8 Club Concourse would be minor. I would suggest, though, go to the home page of this website, choose National Club Infomation>Forms>Judging Supplement 1932 - 1948. Download that 5 page document as a guide to your preparing for a Judged Concourse. Also very important is your personal education in hands on judging on a Concourse before you complete your car for showing. You will be more than welcome as a Novice Judge at any V8 Club Concourse. I can’t overstate the importance of this course of action, which you will thoroughly enjoy doing.

Alan

40 Coupe    -- 09-30-2022 @ 5:23 AM
  Below is the AC filter and the Fram on the left. Either should fit to your 24 stud 85HP engine

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 10-2-22 @ 5:02 AM

Civilwarlife    -- 09-30-2022 @ 8:47 AM
  What would you want for these?

40 Coupe    -- 10-01-2022 @ 5:54 AM
  Photos were posted for your information and not for sale. There are several more pieces to each filter that are not shown.

kubes40    -- 10-01-2022 @ 8:24 AM
  The correct filter for your '38 is very rare. Especially the bracket and even more so, the proper hoses.
It doesn't appear as if concourse correct is a priority for you. If I am correct in that assumption, I'd suggest you seek out the 40 - 48 style as depicted to the left in a previous post. Those are readily available and reasonably priced.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15961