Topic: Touring & Touring A ?

whygoby    -- 07-24-2010 @ 12:40 PM
  I'm attending the St. George, UT western meet, and signed up for the touring A class. After reviewing the discription in the V8 roster, the only difference seems to be the front axle? either dropped...or not. Is this correct?

ford38v8    -- 07-24-2010 @ 1:23 PM
  Whygoby, no, there are a number of differences, basically, the Touring Class is reserved for unmodified cars, whereas the Touring A class can have non-Ford accessories such as multi-carburetors, finned aluminum heads, dropped axles, alternators, etcetera. The Touring class modifications are limited to dual exhaust, juice brakes, etcetera.

Note: The two Touring Classes together with the Rouge Class and the Display Class have in recent years outnumbered the point judged classes on the Concourse. No matter the condition of your car or the way you have personalized it to your own liking, there is a place on the Concourse for you. It is the goal of the EFV8CA to bring out all the cars, not just the highly restored cars. If anyone is unsure as to the correct Class to register in, not to worry, your Class can be changed when you get to the Meet.

Alan

tbloss    -- 07-25-2010 @ 10:36 AM
  This post is not to criticize,but to get other members thoughts concerning voting for Tour class cars. I have had my car in Touring at three National meets in the past, having great results, or probably just good luck. My experiences have been at Eastern & Central meets.

I wish the club could find a better way to ensure our members at these meets vote for Tour Class Cars.. I have found that it is often hard to find the ballot box,members forget to bring their ballots to the Concourse,and often the cars are scattered,making voteing hard to do.

As Allen said above, Touring,Touring A,Rouge,and the Display Class out number Dearborn cars. These cars are very important to the sucess of our National meets.

Just wanted to hear thoughts from others...Thanks, Tom..

ford38v8    -- 07-25-2010 @ 11:30 AM
  Tom, I myself have forgotten my ballot; hadn't time to vote after my judging duties; couldn't find the ballot box; not completed all the categories on my ballot; all the complaints you've listed and more. Yet I had never thought about doing something constructive about it, so, thank you for the criticism, as it's always the squeaky wheel that gets the grease!

For those who have attended many Meets over the years, you'll agree that while the criticisms may sting a bit at first, they are remembered and at some point the problem is corrected at future Meets. As each Meet is sponsored by a different Regional Group, solutions to previous problems are slow to happen, but must first be recognized as a problem! Let's hope this one can be corrected now that it's out in the open?

Alan

Cecil/WV    -- 07-25-2010 @ 7:36 PM
  That is the problem I have had in filling out the ballots, the cars are mostly scattered out too much to be able to compare for a favorite vote. I have cast my vote in a certain category and then found some more entrants in another location. Maybe if it is said enough, it will get fixed.

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

trjford8    -- 07-25-2010 @ 8:28 PM
  Here's a suggestion. The touring ballots should be handed out at the concourse. The meet hosts have a master list of participants and each participant is given a name tag with their registration number.When you pick up your touring ballot at the concourse they check your name tag and cross your name off the list to show you received a ballot.After you vote and turn your ballot into the same table where it was handed out you will be given your tour dash plaque. The dash plaque is normally in your tour bag, but if given after you vote it makes sure that you vote.
Touring class cars should be placed on the field in one specific area. They should be divided up into Touring and Touring A and parked by year model.This should make it easier to find these cars when voting.Since people register their cars for the concourse it should not be too difficult to see how many spaces are needed and put them in a separate area. JMHO.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 7-25-10 @ 8:29 PM

nelsb01    -- 07-25-2010 @ 9:25 PM
  Great idea about the ballots.
BUT----
If you remember from you days on the BOD, originally the Touring Class cars WERE in a differnet area of the Concourse field. Then came the complaints of being treated like 'second class citizens' with respect to the rest of the Concourse, as they were parked at the other side of the field.
So, ideally, the solution was to create different colored windshield cards for the different classes, locate all the same year vehicles in the same area (all cars, all trucks, special interest, etc).
While it still is difficult to do, you do have all the 1940's parked together, and while there maybe a Rouge car, then a Dearborn car, and then a Touring A car, at least the idea was to group all the years together respectively.

ford38v8    -- 07-25-2010 @ 10:21 PM
  Tom, all registrants recieve a ballot now, not just those who bring a car.

It's a very long day for the Judges, and several extra trips around the Concourse in the afternoon to mark ballots doesn't always get the highest priority.

I think we need to educate participants to fasten windshield cards sooner rather than to wait till the Concourse. The more cards displayed throughout the event, the more votes are cast.

Poeple aren't going to backtrack to deposit ballots, but all will exit, so the ballot box, with a big sign, should be located at the Concourse exit.

Alan

Kens 36    -- 07-26-2010 @ 6:32 AM
  whygoby, to get back to your original question, we have a simple one-page comparison between Touring and Touring A posted on our regional group's website at http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/nirg-earlyfordv-8//Meets/Touring_Division.htm There are a number of differences, as Alan mentioned above.

This was compiled from the information in the club roster.

Ken

Texas40    -- 07-26-2010 @ 8:21 AM
  nelsb01 has a great point. We have tried very hard to be responsive to complaints. Many times our efforts to correct a problem from member A have created heartburn with member B. Guys I remember the days when we were concourse only and touring cars like mine got no recognition. Also touring cars used to compete with retired Dearborn winners(before the emeritus award) who simply entered their cars in touring and usually won. Really not fair. While our current system has some "warts" I think everyone gets an OPPORTUNITY to vote and a place for their cars on the show field--that is the key. These are my thoughts anyway, Bob

trjford8    -- 07-26-2010 @ 10:38 AM
  Al, I'm aware that all participants(registered members)receive a ballot whether or not they bring a car. I never knew that it was any other way.
Fastening the placard to the windshield sooner rather than later at the concourse is not practical. Touring cars are driven on tours, etc. prior to the concourse. Driving around with the windshield partly blocked will get you a ticket.Constantly removing and replacing the placard is a royal pain and the placard may not survive.
As you know there is not a designated exit or entrance for those who do not display a car. They enter and exit from all directions. The appropriate place for the touring ballot box is at the judges tent(usually at the center of the field)as it's easy to spot. You would pickup and deposit your ballot and pick up your dash plaque at one central location.
Bruce when I mentioned a separate area I did not mean that the cars should be separated from the main field. They should all be on the same field, but the field divided into touring and concourse areas and each area set up by ascending year. The concourse field is usually set up by the hosting group and I don't think the set up method is set in stone. Since Golden Gate RG will be hosting the Grand National in 2013 I will put forth my suggestions to those on the concourse committee.Will it work? Who knows, but maybe it's time to try something new.

TomO    -- 07-27-2010 @ 7:44 AM
  Tom, I think you mean "lets go back to the way it was before we tried to satisfy everyone". When Touring class was started, the Touring cars were separated from the point judged cars and arranged according to class. This system worked well for many years, until someone wanted their touring car next to their buddy's point judged car. Now there is another class that is not point judged, the Emeritus cars. These do belong with the point judged cars as the Chief Judge can require the car to be point judged. jmho

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1595