Topic: Transmission stck in reverse

zoopie36    -- 09-12-2022 @ 1:59 PM
  I have a '48 Ford with a '39 transmission. Went to start it after about a year. When the starter cranks, even with the clutch depressed, it starts moving in reverse. I can't seem to move the shifting lever. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, zoopie

rustedorrotting    -- 09-12-2022 @ 2:10 PM
  imho, have someone rock the vehicle back and forth while you try to get it in neutral. Probably what has happened is the clutch disc has stuck to the flywheel, so when you attempt to turn the engine over, it tries to move the vehicle. you may be able to rock it back and forth and get the disc to let loose. Barring that, you will have to remove the clutch. Good luck.

40cpe    -- 09-12-2022 @ 6:22 PM
  I've found that it helps relieve a stuck clutch to prop it to the floor for a few days. This takes the pressure off the disc and lets it relax some. Sometimes the disc will break loose when you hit the starter after the relaxing period.

carcrazy    -- 09-12-2022 @ 8:13 PM
  If you can't move the shift lever out of reverse, there is a problem within the transmission. With the '39 transmission you can take off the top cover, with the shift lever attached, to gain access to the shift mechanism. Once you have the cover off, you can determine the cause of the problem. If the car has not been driven for a year and the car has been in a high humidity area, the shift forks may be rusted to the synchronizer and/or the 1st/reverse sliding gear. Your problem could also be that the shift forks have rusted to the shift shafts in the transmission cover.

zoopie36    -- 09-14-2022 @ 3:11 PM
  I would like to thank all that offered their expertise. Actually, it came out with a little push on the back. Early Ford V-8 Club is a great site. zoopie36

Dream38v8    -- 09-15-2022 @ 12:28 PM
  Zoopie36, the attached pic shows the clutch disengaged with a support against the front seat. This support was provided by the former owner. He explained if the car was going to be stored for any length of time this would keep the clutch disc off of the flywheel.
As 40cpe explained this will keep the pressure off the disc. I use this support after every cruise since I never know when the next cruise will be.

Ray

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-15-2022 @ 3:48 PM

keeping the clutch pedal depressed when in storage I believe this is weaking the clutch springs,
I never had a clutch stuck to the flywheel in my 37 Cabriolet,
just use the car a little more, or just depress the clutch pedal once in a while,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15940