Topic: Clutch Pedal Free Play Travel Adjustment

TonyM    -- 09-05-2022 @ 9:32 AM
  I recently installed a new clutch on my 1937 Ford 85hp.

Before I reinstalled the floor, I thought I would adjust the clutch free play. Worked with it until I got it to 1.25 inches of free play.

Then I reinstalled the floor. Installing the floor displaced the clutch pedal downward about an inch. When the floor is fully installed, the pedal is about inch forward or down from the position where it would be with no floor installed. The pedal looks right and is about even with the brake pedal. All looked good.

I readjusted the clutch pedal to account for the displacement caused by the floorboard. It is now at 1.25 inches of free play. This car is entirely original. All original Ford parts.

After the readjustment and testing the car, the clutch free play needed to be readjusted. I adjusted the pedal to 1.25 inches and it shifts pretty good. Still, sometimes I get a little crunch going into first after sitting at a light.
Tried the Van Pelt clutch test:

Van Pelt Quote: Do the clutch test....engine idling, trans in neutral, clutch pedal up. Push clutch all the way to the floorboard and count to 20 slowly. Then carefully try to shift into first gear. If you get ANY gear crunch, the clutch is not adjusted correctly and is still spinning the trans gears.

How does the displacement of the pedal by installing the floor impact the adjustment? Is this accounted for?

I have it perfect at 1.25 inches (measured both at the pedal and at the floor). I am going to test it out all day today and see where I end up.

Thanks

78-730B

This message was edited by TonyM on 9-5-22 @ 9:48 AM

TonyM    -- 09-05-2022 @ 2:06 PM
  Drove around for about an hour. All seems good.

Just was wondering about the pedal being displaced by the floorboard install.

78-730B

JayChicago    -- 09-06-2022 @ 9:02 AM
  I think pedal free play was always meant to be adjusted after floorboard. As you found, adjusting it prior to floorboard is useless.

Does your car have the pedal-stop rubber bumper on the underside of the floorboard? If that gets replaced, pedal free play changes again.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15929