Topic: 36 body tag sequence numbers

cbabek    -- 09-03-2022 @ 5:45 AM
  Hope all are well,

I have the body number plate missing on a cabriolet I bought. I would like to replace it but don't know what "close" serial number range I should use or stamp font type. I understand that in 36 Ford made all the cabriolet bodies - is that correct - or did Murray make them also. Either way the car is an early 36 with chassis serial numbers starting 18-2275---. I think this is around an October 35' assembly date. Are body serial number dates published anywhere ? were the body number sequential for the body type, manufacturer, or just any sequential number ? something like 36 cab from " 760 0001" to "760 16000"

any help would be appreciated

51woodie    -- 09-03-2022 @ 7:01 AM
  Check the Vanpelt site. This page has a lot of info listed below the serial number chart.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

40 Coupe    -- 09-03-2022 @ 7:45 AM
  If your car has the two small holes for the body plate then the body was not assembled by Ford and the car should have the plate. The open cars body was not assembled by Ford and should have the Murray tag as seen below. The 35-36 Club restoration book has some good info regarding the plate. The number 68 is the model year for 1936 and unique to Ford. The next three digits indicate the body style 760 for Cabriolet. The last right hand numbers are the the sequential order of the body for the 760 for the year. Set up a ratio to come close to your cars approximate body number, there are no records.

cbabek    -- 09-03-2022 @ 2:59 PM
  40 Coupe

appreciate it - wasn't sure if all the cabriolet bodies were built by Murray - thanks for the response

I also have a 40 tudor since I'm 13 years old !

wmsteed    -- 09-04-2022 @ 9:53 AM
  cbabek, You should be very careful in your quest to find and/or create a body number for your car.. There could be a very pertinent reason why your car does not have one. Have you checked the right side of the cowl for "two dimples" and /or holes where the body number would have been located?
Is the number missing because some previous owner was attempting to cover up a possible stolen and/or corrupted car? If a vehicle is reported as stolen, the serial/vin number is entered into a national data base that has been in place for over forty years. if the recorded number surfaces, bingo, which is pretty well a given with the instant information highway, the law is knocking at your door to recover the stolen car.
I have a '36 coupe, I am the second owner of the car, bought it in 1952, the car is a late August car. My car did not have a body number on the right side of the cowl.. I wondered about this many times, especially since the paint on the engine side of the cowl is original to the car. I could not figure out how or why the body number plate was missing from my car.
Several years ago I learned that only bodies that were out sourced by Ford had body number tags. Bodies built by FORD did not have tags, I closely looked at the cowl on my car, discovering no dimples for the attachment rivet/screw. Mystery solved!
I think there is one side of the Serial number question that most people have failed to take into consideration. All of the engine/transmission assemblies were made at the Rouge Plant, The serial number was stamped into the transmission when it was attached to the engine, then the asseembly was shipped to the respective Ford plants, nation and/or world wide.
It is a fact the generally speaking the chassis for cars and 1/2 ton pickups prior to '42 were basically the same, therefore, the engine assembly could end up in a passenger car and/or a commercial car/pickup.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

Don Rogers    -- 09-04-2022 @ 12:35 PM
  cbabek, Murray made all the Cabriolet bodies for Ford in 1936. There fore there would have been a body plate on your vehicle. One can only estimate what that body number would have been. You can however make a guesstimate at that number. There were 14,068 cabriolets made for the 36 model year and yours was an early October vehicle (approx the 67,889th vehicle made in 1936 out of a total 1124745 vehicles made in the 36 model year). If you ratio those numbers you get .06036. Multiply that number times total cabriolets and you get body number 849. That body number would be a good estimate!!!

(67889/1124745) x 14068 = 849

cbabek    -- 09-05-2022 @ 5:06 AM
  Don,

that was my thinking - I just wasn't sure if the 68 760 body numbers started with "1"

thank you !

Chris

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15925