Topic: Correct way to stow a 34 Cabriolet top.

carguy    -- 07-23-2010 @ 8:21 AM
  I'm guessing that there is a preferred way to stow the top on my '34 cabriolet but I have not yet found any literature that shows or even comments on this subject. I'm afraid that doing it wrong will damage my top.

Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

johnpoly    -- 07-23-2010 @ 8:35 AM
  I have a '36 Cabriolet. Maybe the top irons are arranged the same way in a '34. I nearly made a tear in the top when I put it back up. To avoid this;
1. after releasing the top from the windshield frame you then release the handles where the irons support the back of the unit. Then lift the top up and push it back to the top well. DO NOT release the levers at the front of the unit until it lies straight over the well. Then you can release these levers and push the unit down into the well making sure no top material is snagged.
2. when putting the top up just reverse the procedure.

I made the mistake of releasing the front levers first and nearly tore a hole in the top material. I hope this helps.

supereal    -- 07-23-2010 @ 9:02 AM
  Stowing a top easily and without damage depends on the free movement of the top irons, as in most convertible tops. On some, such as my '47, the snaps that secure the top to the side irons must either be the automatic release type, or be unsnapped before lowering the top. Otherwise, it is likely the snaps will be torn out and/or the top ripped. Then, the top must be folded as it is lowered so the slack is laid evenly between the bows. IOt takes time, but new tops are very expensive.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-25-2010 @ 8:31 AM
  if you fold the top down,and it seems that maybe you will harm it use new white terrycloth towels as a buffer,in between, so you do not get wear,chaffing etc,you can try this.[ this is what some CORVETTE OWNERS DO,they buy a special cloth for this,]
any top that gets put down will cause wrinkles no matter how carefull you are,they will come out in time once you use it,it all depends who installed it all how tight it is,
a old friend of mine used to wet the top,when installing and once dry was tight,
you could ask LEBARON BONNEY, they are the experts,
hope this helps,
37RAGTOPMAN KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,,,,,

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1592