Topic: 51 Ford ignition switch keeps falling out

51fordguy    -- 08-28-2022 @ 9:42 PM
  My ignition switch keeps falling out and is a pain to put back in. I know there is a special tool to lock the notched bezel ring into place unfortunately cant find one. Anyone have suggestions as to what can be used as a substitute tool?

Or is the answer 'replace the ig. switch itself?

carcrazy    -- 08-28-2022 @ 9:48 PM
  You can use a couple of flat bladed screwdrivers to tighten the ring which retains the ignition switch. Cross the blades with each other and rotate them with the blades engaged in the slots of the ring.

This message was edited by carcrazy on 8-28-22 @ 9:51 PM

51fordguy    -- 08-29-2022 @ 12:50 PM
  To carcrazy, thanks for the tip. Have tried screwdrivers with little success.

Found a supplier and ordered one. I'm tired of fooling around. Have had to reinstall ignition several times, actually had my son do it as his hands are stronger.

Thanks Again

Crashman    -- 11-01-2023 @ 5:40 PM
  Interested to know if you were successful in getting the retainer ring to stay. Mine keeps popping out and I see one of the lips is bent up and not holding in the spring loaded ignition cylinder piece. I did learn it is a ONE YEAR only application.

I have had NO success in finding one from any of the usual retailers, ie Dennis Carpenter, Shoe Box, Early Ford Store and have done a number of salvage yards with no luck.

Other than using epoxy to glue it in, any ideas as to how to fix it or keep it in the bezel.

carcrazy    -- 11-01-2023 @ 9:00 PM
  It looks like you'll have to get creative to fix this problem. One suggestion would be to cut out a section of the cylinder where the broken tab is located, locate a mild steel plate that is the thickness of the tab, cut a piece of the plate that is the length of the tab and use epoxy to mount this new tab to the cylindrical area of the bezel. By repairing it this way, you will be able to remove the lock cylinder in the future if any problems with it arise.

Grant    -- 11-02-2023 @ 5:52 AM
  Greetings from the frozen wastelands of rural Ontario Canada.

Bonney used to make excellent dashboard bezel tools.

Their V36 socket works perfect on 1949 and 1950 Ford dash bezels.

It's hollow with two prongs, and the same diameter as a 1/4 inch socket. Length is 1 5/16 inches.

For the 1951 ignition bezel, a slightly larger version would be required.

I think you could probably make one out of a 3/8 inch or 7/16 socket, using a grinder and a file to create the necessary protruding prongs.

Hope this helps ........

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15912