Topic: Transmission Rattles

jers51@ev8    -- 08-25-2022 @ 1:20 PM
  I am new to the forum and this is my first message have patients with me. I have a 1936 Ford pickup I recently purchased and I have been cleaning out all the systems as I believe the truck has set idle for most of it's life the last 25 years. I siphoned all the gas out of tank then flushed the lines removed the carb disassembled and cleaned all the parts reassembled it and it starts and runs fine. I flushed the radiator blew it out as best I could with an air compressor filled it with distilled water & radiator cleaner drove it around and then drained it and put in 50/50 Prestone antifreeze. That all seems OK. I drained the oil out of the transmission and put in new 90 weight gear oil per the manual. Now my problem is the transmission. While I was doing all the above service work I was driving it around and the trans seemed fine. The last couple times I have driven it when I let up on the gas in high gear or sometimes just driving with no throttle or very light throttle the gear shift lever will start bouncing and it sounds like it is trying to go in or out of gear and rattles very loudly, if I push in the clutch and shift to neutral and reengage high gear it goes away but sometimes returns. What do you guys think is happening?

ford38v8    -- 08-25-2022 @ 5:01 PM
  I think that to get an intelligent answer, you first need to determine what gear set you have in there. Take the top shifter plate off and look at the bottom side of the shifter fork body, to find the part number of the fork set. You should hope to see a big 91A on that location, which is the fork set for the gear set of 1939 and later. With that information, Mac Van Pelt will likely have expert advice for you. Mac is the transmission guru here, and can also provide you with any transmission part you could ever need.

Alan

jers51@ev8    -- 08-25-2022 @ 6:08 PM
  OK, thank you for that info I will look into it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15901