Topic: Multi Carb Intake & Generator Clearance Problems

BIRUDY    -- 08-16-2022 @ 7:01 PM
  I have a 1937 21 stud flat head V8 with aluminum heads and want to install a 2 carb Offenhauser intake, but with this intake I will not be able to use my generator because of clearance issues..
What are reasonable options to solve this issue and what are the compromises ... with an offset bracket I understand I can use my generator but what does this mean for the cooling fan.. would a 6Volt alternator be a good option?

alanwoodieman    -- 08-16-2022 @ 7:22 PM
  with a set up like this most of the cars I have seen were running electric fans, with the offset gen or alt

BIRUDY    -- 08-17-2022 @ 5:10 AM
  Yes thought about those options but not sure if I want to go about that route. Want to keep it a simple as possible.
Noticed MAC's has 6 volt, positive ground single wire with standard mount and pulley that appears to be able to retain the factory cooling fan.. Will call to get dimensions of the alternator as overall length is the determining factor.
Other option would be not to use the intake I have and et one that would accommodate the factory generator setup.

BIRUDY    -- 08-17-2022 @ 5:28 AM
  Just checked with MAC's and it looks like they are not going to continue with this product or have it reproduced in the foreseeable future.. back to the drawing board .

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-17-2022 @ 7:11 AM

DID you try SPEEDWAY for your 2 2 intake, or JEGS ?
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

BIRUDY    -- 08-17-2022 @ 7:45 AM
  will take a look

carcrazy    -- 08-17-2022 @ 9:22 AM
  Use of the dual carb manifold with the units mounted close together greatly simplifies the installation.

carcrazy    -- 08-17-2022 @ 9:38 AM
  Here is a manifold that may work for you.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-1075/make/ford

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 08-19-2022 @ 4:51 PM
  I have attached photos from a copy of a 24 page Fenton duel intake instruction folder. The folder covers 1932 - 53 Ford Mercury dual intake manifolds. I hope this helps.

BIRUDY    -- 08-20-2022 @ 10:00 AM
  thanks ever so much.. Very helpful

wmsteed    -- 08-28-2022 @ 8:47 AM
  I have a Offy Super dual carb manifold on the 59 AB engine in my '36. I used a side mount on the right head to mover the generator out of the way for the wide spread carbs, works great.
The fan presents a problem, however the problem can be solved by cutting down the armature from a '39 generator which is a two brush unit that has a ball bearing on the front of the shaft. The '36 fan blade will fit right on the front of the '39 gen.
I cut the armature shaft off just to the rear of the bearing housing, I have seen this modification done with the armature cut off on lathe allowing room for the rear bearing plate to be moved forward.
The home made fan mount has been on my car since 1954, never had a problem with it.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

wmsteed    -- 08-28-2022 @ 9:01 AM
  For some unknown reason the second pix showing the side mount gen on my engine did not up load, I'll try again.
Some place in my stash of EV8 info I have an article and picture of a '39 generator cut down for a fan mount on a wide spread dual carb manifold..

After I loaded the attached pix to this thread I opened the thread for a review, I noted that the side mount generator works very well on the 24 stud 59AB engine, however, the location of the hose down from the radiator to the front mounted inlet/pump will present a problem.
An enlarged review of the attached pix will reveal the home made fan mount behind the side mounted generator.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 8-28-22 @ 9:21 AM

BIRUDY    -- 08-29-2022 @ 6:25 AM
  thanks for the pictures and information.. at this point I am going to put the original single carb intake when I install the rebuilt engine to work the bugs out (hopefully none) and move towards the modifications as the process unfolds.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15881