Topic: fan blade balance?

ibshane    -- 08-11-2022 @ 10:02 PM
  I have suspicions that my '37 V8-85 engine fan blade is out of whack (balance) because at higher rpm's I get a pretty significant vibrations from the engine.

Does anybody make quality repop. fans for these old fords? Or is there a way to balance my existing fan???

carcrazy    -- 08-11-2022 @ 10:23 PM
  Take the fan to a machine shop that does engine balancing. They will be able to balance the fan for you.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-12-2022 @ 9:10 AM
  hi fan blade balance,
did you try removing the fan belt and taking for a small ride, ? see if vibration goes away,
check the fan mounting bolts. and the rivits, and check for any cracks in blades
is the fan belt new and and not dried out, dried out fan belts can make noise,
NAPA has a great replacement belt, you will need to loosen up the generator and tilt forward to install
also check your water pumps, for play
and motor mounts, if bad will transfer the vibration,
exhaust touching any place,?
never saw a fan blade out of balance if in good condition
did you try another fan blade, TO SEEI FIT MAKE A DIFFERENCE ?
I doubt a after market fan blade woulf be better then a original FORD PART,
let hear how you made out,
hope this helps,
37Ragtopman, Maine

ibshane    -- 08-12-2022 @ 10:37 PM
  Thanks guys!

I will report back on my findings.

The engine has less than 600 miles on a complete rebuild & purrrrs like a kitten. The motor & tranny mounts are also new. The wheels, suspension, driveline and front & rear end are
I'm reasonably sure it's the fan blade because as I increase the throttle while under the hood, I can hear and see the fan blade start to go wonky at higher RPMs!

40cpe    -- 08-13-2022 @ 7:32 AM
  could it be bent?

zeke3    -- 08-13-2022 @ 6:54 PM
  You should remove the fan blade immediately and check it closely for cracks. Fans do not give too much warning before failing catastrophically.

trjford8    -- 08-14-2022 @ 7:09 AM
  I would pull that fan immediately. As others have pointed out a cracked blade or out of balance fan can cause some real problems. A cracked blade can come loose and take out your hood, radiator or even hit you if you are under the hood when it comes loose. Pull the fan and check the bolt that holds the pulley to the generator. I have seen that bolt get loose and the fan will wobble. Then inspect the fan for cracks or other damage.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15872