Topic: 1941 window cranks/handles/regulators

wilsonsk    -- 08-08-2022 @ 6:21 PM
  I am down to 1 functional window crank in my 1941 2 door sedan. Obviously the square drive part gets very brittle, is there a fix other than replacing the regulator? This is a solid, mostly original driver, just looking to keep things functioning. I got the broken square piece out of the handle, can the square drive be replaced with 3/8” square stock? Is the part in the picture what I need? How do I know if I need 5 or 6 teeth?

This message was edited by wilsonsk on 8-8-22 @ 7:24 PM

trjford8    -- 08-09-2022 @ 7:26 AM
  That part you display may or may not work. You would need to take your regulator apart and count the number of teeth on your regulator pinion gear. Use your V-8 times and call Regulator Roy who advertises in there. He may have a NOS regulator or the parts to fix yours.

supereal    -- 08-20-2022 @ 12:02 PM
  C&G has two pages of window cranks, including some for your '41. Anyone seeking parts should ask for their catalog. They are our "go to" source. They actually know what they are selling. (800) 266- 0470).

1942deluxe    -- 08-20-2022 @ 5:55 PM
  Also try Fred Wilner at Southside Obsolete in Faribault Mn. I just got a NOS "short door" window regulator from him.

40 Coupe    -- 08-21-2022 @ 5:19 AM
  There are several gear tooth counts, you have to disassemble and count. What you show in the photo appears as if it will work, even if you reuse your good gear. I have never heard of the square shaft breaking, usually the gear strips, but there is always a first. If your gear is still good it appears the shaft from this kit will repair your regulator. When you do the repair clean and then relube (don't use white grease it will get hard) There is also a circular spring in the cup that covers the assembly.

supereal    -- 08-24-2022 @ 12:03 PM
  When I acquired my '47 convertible 25 years ago, all but one of the window regulators were inoperable. These regulators are special, and it takes nine turns to raise and lower the heavy rimmed glass. As with many parts of an open car, replacement parts are very scarce, and expensive as well. We disassembled the regulators and found that many of the teeth were damaged or missing. The solution was to weld those teeth, then reshape them with a die grinder. It is time consuming, but all the units function like new. "Regular" units would be much easier, and if you don't have the access or skill to do the repairs, most areas have a shop that can do it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15862