Topic: 37 hood bent

19375W    -- 07-29-2022 @ 8:49 PM
  I am currently building a 37 5W coupe and have discovered that the hood is bent down starting about 18" from the nose at mark on the tape, see pic attached. The hood was already epoxied when I got the car, so did notice the issue. Have had 2 suggestions on how to fix it: 1-slice it up both sides of the hood about 3"each to relieve the pressure and push the hood flat and weld it in the flattened position. Or: 2-section the hood from the tape mark all the way around the front to the other side and take a pie cut wedge out of the whole section. Any previous fixes that anyone can add? i assume the hood is bent from decades of slamming it shut. Thanks in advance.

ford38v8    -- 07-29-2022 @ 9:46 PM
  Your hood has been broken at the hood prop mount near the firewall driver's side. The original hood prop was of a design that caused most hoods of that vintage to break in that spot, a very serious break requiring major work. Unfortunately, the repair that was done on your hood was not done by an experienced body man, and your hood was badly warped. The best repair at this point is to remove all the epoxy, strip the paint, and see where you are from there, perhaps if a good weld job had been done, it might be shrunk/stretched to fit.

Alan

trjford8    -- 07-30-2022 @ 7:35 AM
  Does this gap go all the way back to the cowl?. You might first adjust the rear hinges to make sure the hood is resting on the cowl before making any decision on where to start the repair.

19375W    -- 07-30-2022 @ 10:29 AM
  Thanks for the reply. I previously took the grille off and the hood side gap is fairly close from the cowl up to the mark on the tape thus making me think the bend starts at/before the tape mark. Hinges have been juggled around a few times so far. Hood to cowl gap if fairly consistent.

19375W    -- 07-30-2022 @ 10:33 AM
  Thanks Alan. I will remove the epoxy around the prop area for starters and see if I can see where a weld has been done. Probably can spot it from the inside if not finished perfectly in that location.

3w2    -- 07-30-2022 @ 3:28 PM
  I can see evidence of a repair right about where the hood prop attaches to the hood. They repaired the back half of the side of the hood, but evidently did not realize that the damage extended all the way to the front of the hood on the left side. It is a not uncommon result of a combination of questionable design combined with ignorance on the part of the person attempting to close the hood without first lifting up to release the catch incorporated into the hood prop.

19375W    -- 07-31-2022 @ 1:15 PM
  Definitely a poor design back in the day. Looks like I will remove the epoxy and see what has been done for repairs along both the DS and PS edges. Better to see than guess at this point, as it needs to end up nice and straight. Thanks for your input, Bill.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15835