Topic: 37-40 steering box better?

parrish    -- 07-20-2010 @ 7:17 PM
  I have a 36 and plan to replace the worm and sector shaft,(and donut with bearing) but have read that 37-40 steering boxes are better...why? better ratio or what??? Thanks!

CharlieStephens    -- 07-20-2010 @ 7:45 PM
  They are better because the sector has roller bearings incorporated into it. Check out the illustrations in the parts books. Go to http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_home.htm, look under steering and look at part 3575.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 7-21-10 @ 6:34 AM

tudorbilll    -- 07-20-2010 @ 9:52 PM
  Just one point to be made the box plate on the frame will have to be replaced! I used BOB DRAKES ! WHAT A WONDERFULL DIFFERENCE.Well worth the effort Like night & day. Bill

parrish    -- 07-23-2010 @ 7:25 PM
  can a 36 steering shaft be used with a 37-40 box?

JM    -- 07-24-2010 @ 6:26 AM
  You can use your '36 steering shaft but you must press the '36 worm off and press the '37-40 worm on. It may be easier to use a '37-'39 shaft and worm assembly and relocate the steering locking collar on the shaft to the same location as your '36. J.M.

parrish    -- 07-24-2010 @ 8:57 AM
  thanks JM...is re-locating the collar a fairly straight forward procedure. I'm a day's travel from the car so I can't investigate.

wmsteed    -- 07-24-2010 @ 9:22 AM
  I put a '40 steering gear assembly in my '36 Ford coupe many years ago... Using a '40 frame mount and a '36 column tube. I removed the steering lock sleeve from the shaft because I don't care for that feature.
As I recall, I had to use a '37 pitman arm because the '40 arm hung down to low.
Was the swap worth it? It sure was... the '36 is worm and sector, with just a grove in the end of the sector shaft, where-as the '37-40 is worm and roller, the roller being on the end of the sector shaft.
The modification was like adding power steering to the car.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

trjford8    -- 07-24-2010 @ 4:08 PM
  The lock collar is held on by set screws.Loosen the screws and you can move the collar up or down. Once you get it set into place you might want to drill a small depression in the shaft so the screws dig in and stop any movement of the collar.

JM    -- 07-25-2010 @ 6:52 AM
  Parrish, The collar has two threaded holes for set screws and the shaft has two drilled holes. It would not be that difficult re-drill two holes in the shaft and relocate the collar where it needs to be for the 36 column. Pressing a worm gear off the steering shaft is not difficult either but pressing another WG back on the shaft is a little more difficult. It's easy to bend the shaft during this procedure. What I had to do was make a long tube that supports the shaft and keeps it from bending, then heat the worm and chill the shaft to get the worm pressed back into place. Good luck with whatever method you chose. J.M.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1581